Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Directing Pay

Posted 12-01-2014 09:01
    Our teachers' association is preparing to negotiate extra-curricular pay. Could you tell me how much you all currently get paid for directing and how many productions you direct for that amount of money? That would help me greatly. ------------------------------------------- Bethany Bax teacher and play director Greencastle Community Schools Greencastle IN -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:Directing Pay

Posted 12-01-2014 10:20
    Our association has a pay scale for all extended responsibilities, including theatre productions. Level C = 1 production is 15%, B = 2 productions is 17%, and A = 3+ productions is 19%. "Production" is not defined and does not include drama club/Thespians, nor is there any pay for that. It varies school by school whether the principal puts a teacher on level a, b, or c, which is a part of our collective discussion this year to ensure our colleagues are paid for equal work, as much as we can influence it within the district.

-------------------------------------------
    Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Directing Pay

Posted 12-01-2014 11:19
    My district pays 5% per production with a max of 2 productions. That comes to about $1,900 per show. We do not have supplementals for tech directors, choreographers, or any other support staff for theatre.

My previous position in another district paid $5,000 per production for three productions annually. There were also supplementals for assistant director and tech director for $3,500 each per production.
    Scott Wilson
    Ohio
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Directing Pay

Posted 12-01-2014 12:02
    My district does a stipend for directing. I don't remember the exact amount but I believe it was about $2100 for the 2 performances. That only covers my position. We have to use other funds for everything else in the production.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Directing Pay

Posted 12-02-2014 10:50
    When our union's co-curricular and extra curricular duty pay was due for negogiation, the district's theatre teachers submitted accurate logs of all of the time outside of instructional contracted hours. We also asked the athletic coaches to do the same. We as a combined unit, Arts and Athletics, were able to recieve increased co-curricular and extra curricular duty compensation. ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones Ojai CA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Directing Pay

Posted 12-02-2014 11:45
    We have a pretty low pay scale for directors here, around 1.5k for the year. It is just about the same pay as assistant coaches, so you really have to love the craft.

Darren Means
    Hardin MT

• 7.  RE: Directing Pay

Posted 12-02-2014 12:59
    You might also want to check out a previous thread on this subject, lots of feedback:

Standard Rate for Extra Curricular Directing

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY