Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pirates of Penzance music???

Posted 11-30-2014 19:58
    Over the summer I did a bunch of writing and adapting and one thing that I worked on was an adaption of Pirates of Penzance since it is in the public domain.   To save on our very limited funds, I would really like to use that this year with my students, however, the problem that I have is with the music.  I am not a pianist and we do all of our rehearsing in class (I will have two casts, two shows).  Though this is one of the most widely produced musicals ever, I can't seem to get my hands on any good instrumental/backing tracks that could be used with the songs.  

Any suggestions?  I feel like any savings I would have from  not just using MTI's Jr version at this point would be negated by the cost I'd have to pay to get a pianist to come to rehearsals, etc. 

How do you/would you handle this???

-------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 2.  RE: Pirates of Penzance music???

Posted 12-01-2014 13:38
    I did this play at a school with no music department. I play the piano, so I could do the rehearsals, but I also found a young pianist from the local college who was willing to come for rehearsals for the second part of the rehearsals for very little money. Put a notice on Craigslist. Sometimes you can find someone who plays piano and just will come for the fun of it.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 3.  RE: Pirates of Penzance music???

Posted 12-01-2014 17:22
    Hi Jennifer,

I am with Right On Cue Services (rightoncueservices.com) and we have backing tracks for Pirates of Penzance available.  If you are interested, please visit our website.

Thank you,

Dave McDougal