Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Make-Up Sensitivity

Posted 11-30-2014 19:20
    Good Evening,

I have a two actresses (they are sisters) who have some pretty serious allergies, among them to dyes and fragrance.  Their mom has been trying various make-up products to see if her daughters can wear anything for their roles and even formulas such as Clinique give them puffy eyes and a rash.

I have purchased a water-based barrier spray in hopes that it will work, but if they are sensitive to that, then I am out of ideas.  It may be that they just have to do their roles make-up free, which isn't the end of the world, though It will be a bit odd that they are the only ones not wearing old-age make-up.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love hearing from you.

Thanks,
    Ginny

-------------------------------------------
    Virginia Schreiber
    Middle School Drama Teacher
    Bellevue WA

• 2.  RE: Make-Up Sensitivity

Posted 12-01-2014 07:29
    Avon and Clinique offer really good hypo a Large if lines. Of course Avon must be purchased through a catalog and Clinique is pricey but available in most beauty supply stores. (Ulta) ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Make-Up Sensitivity

Posted 12-01-2014 11:34
    I have an allergy to make-up as well and wear cortaid underneath my make-up every day.  When I still ocassionally act on stage, I just wear it a bit thicker.  The biggest thing is DO NOT let them use any kind of wipes to get the makeup off.  A sensitive face wash is the best plan there.  Hope that helps!

Amy Crane
    Michigan City IN

• 4.  RE: Make-Up Sensitivity

Posted 12-01-2014 12:04
    I second Amy's advice about the wipes! A few years ago, I thought I was allergic to stage make-up and had similar reactions (puffy eyelids, rash), but it turned out to be the wipes! I now only use Dove soap (the sensitive kind-no fragrances or dyes) and a washcloth to remove make-up and haven't had any problems since.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 5.  RE: Make-Up Sensitivity

Posted 12-01-2014 14:59
    You need to try AquaColor by Kryolan.  This is not a creme makeup, but a powder, like the old tempra paints.  A bit of water on the brush, run across the color, and onto the face.  You do not layer colors, as you do with creme makeup, but rather a single layer to any spot.  I have had students with extreme allergies use it with no side effects.  Kryolan makes a set spray that works very well, and then washes off easily with water.  It is available online.

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS