Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-28-2014 09:54
    I tried going back to find the thread, but to no avail, so I hope this reaches the right people...

Those who are doing a Commedia unit with their students have been asking for sources for affordable masks. I am one of those people and even though I have my Intro to Theatre students make their own, it is good to have some available to use for exercises, as models for theirs, etc. I just came across this FB site and it may also lead to other sites. These are overseas, so if anyone knows of similar quality sources Stateside, I would be grateful.

https://www.facebook.com/Reneemasks

Thanks.

-------------------------------------------
    Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 2.  RE: Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-29-2014 07:45
    This is a little bit of a spin off, but does anyone have good middle-school appropriate commedia clips or films they use. Everything that I find is too raunchy. ------------------------------------------- Jennifer Simmons Lexington SC -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-29-2014 22:33
    Jennifer, I teach high school, but the majority of my students in Theatre I are freshmen, so this might work for you.

I bought Lazzi: The Comic Routines of the Commedia dell'Arte, by Mel Gordon and typed quite a few of the cleaner lazzi descriptions from it.  I listed the number of participants required in the corner of each description.  I print them and cut them out separately.  

I set out a bunch of props for the students to use: 3' to 4' pool noodles, bowls, sheets or tablecloths to conceal, a few rehearsal boxes, a couple of chairs, and a few silly Dollar Tree toys, like water guns that look like giant syringes.

I ask the students to experiment with the lazzi, changing partners every time they go back to choose a new description.

After a set amount of time, I ask them to share their favorites, and I make sure everyone performs at least once.  

Of course, this doesn't work unless the students have some concept of the various stock characters in commedia.  ​I introduce them through a power point I made.  My favorite source is Commedia dell'arte by John Rudlin.  That book also has some lovely scenes in it.        

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-30-2014 17:51
    Hi Jennifer, 

Best resource I have found for Commedia. I bought some masks and introduced it (also taught it) for the first time. These videos gave us all a foundation to build on. The rest was play and discovery! 

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/backstage/commedia-dellarte

Brian Gehrlein
    Theatre Director
    Liberty MO

• 5.  RE: Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-29-2014 09:28
    I have a great resource for Commedia masks that found at the Michigan Thespian Festival last year.  Theatre-masks.com has great masks.  They are a bit pricey, but not nearly as much as other hand made masks I've seen.  I wrote for a mini grant and got quite a few of them and the kids love them.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 6.  RE:Commedia masks, etc

Posted 11-29-2014 12:01
    I've taught commedia before, but this past year decided to hire someone instead (I paid, not the school because we're poor) and having someone come in was worth every reasonable penny I spent. I'll be doing it again this year, too. If you are looking to hire someone to come with a set of masks and teach commedia dell'arte, I highly recommend Michael O'Neill as both a performer and teaching artist. You can contact him directly at michaeloneill.teacher@gmail.com. He can help you via email find masks, as well. He's taught at our state conference and is willing to go anywhere so he's very agreeable. Price negotiable with him, of course. It's worth the free email to inquire. ;)

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile