Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Commedia Masks

Posted 11-25-2014 08:36
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: Prop, Costume and Set Sharing MEMBERS ONLY and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------
    I am going to purchase a set of commedia masks for classroom work. I know there are many craftsmen who make masks but does anyone have a mask-maker they would recommend? Do you have a set?

AP

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Commedia Masks

Posted 11-26-2014 09:09
    I highly recommend Jonathan Becker:
    http://www.theater-masks.com/commedia-masks

I worked with his masks in college and the were wonderful. If this is a little too pricey for your budget you can make a set yourself out of Plaster strips. They are a little heavier but are easy to make. I have students make their own every year in class when we do our Commedia Unit.

Victoria Kesling Councill
    Theatre Teacher
    New Kent County Public Schools
    New Kent VA

• 3.  RE: Commedia Masks

Posted 11-26-2014 11:07
    I would be interested in this, as well, as the only good mask makers I know are in Australia and the shipping costs would be prohibitive.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 4.  RE: Commedia Masks

Posted 11-26-2014 14:09

I do a unit on Commedia and the kids make their own masks. They have been hugely successful. I start with a poster board base and build up the features using paper towels and other poster board 3-D shapes for noses, hats, hair, etc. Then we paper mache using a heavy mixture of white glue and water. More glue to water ratio. Make the consistency of heavy cream. After several layers they are ready to paint (we use acrylic) and then sometimes we use shellac for shine. The kids write their own zamboni, lazzos, scenarios and then put on their production at the end. We have had great results and the kids have something to show for it in the end. I've had students come back years later and they still have their masks and tell me so. Good Luck with yours. And of course the best commedia mask makers in the world are in Venice Italy. Many shops are online.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX