Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-23-2014 14:05
    Hello!

I recently completed a production unit that consisted of groups doing scenes and skits to create a variety show. I need to find a better way to organize rehearsals. With the different groups trying to rehearse at once, the noise level at times got to where no one could hear anyone rehearsing in their groups. The most I had going was 5 groups in different areas of the classroom. I do not want to do this again next semester. 

I've considered a whole class play, but I decided against it because truly some kids do not want to be onstage and I cannot see forcing them to perform. Throughout the semester, I have required them all to perform and usually the ones who are just placed in theatre, do not memorize, record (or remember) blocking, and generally seek to derail the scene. So for the variety show, I have grouped those non-performance kids together in their own scenes and grouped the ones who want to perform together. It has kinda worked out, but not as productive as I would like.

I started using a rehearsal rubric and that has helped a bit, but the ability to think and rehearse is lost by everyone with the noise levels in the classroom.

1. If you do a class play or production unit with scenes, what are some good ideas for rehearsals?
    2. What do I do with the "we already rehearsed" syndrome?
    3. Also, if some kids are assigned to tech, what do you do with them for the 4-6 week rehearsal process?
    4. Do you rehearse every day or intersperse other activities? 
    5. I've thought about rotating rehearsals, but what are some specific ideas on what to have the kids who are not rehearsing do that is productive.

-------------------------------------------
    Renee van Nifterik
    Pearland ISD
    Pearland TX

• 2.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-24-2014 06:26
    You know, you will need tech for a class play too. Put the ones who don't want to be on stage backstage on tech. That's what I do. ------------------------------------------- Randi Lundgren Tallahassee FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-24-2014 07:22
    Ugh.  "We already rehearsed."  I feel your pain.  I'm forever saying that there's a reason we call it RE-hearsal.....we do it again and again.  This, of course, does little more than make me feel better.  Honestly, it's a stress, but I really push myself to come up with a slightly new focus for every day's rehearsal.  For instance, on one day we're reading for objective/obstacle and have to report to the class.  The next day they have to come out of the rehearsal period knowing all the tactics (and turn them into verbs written in their scripts).  On another day they identify a key turning point in a scene and attach some meaningful movement to that moment.  Then another on a later day.  Then they focus on making sure that meaning seems motivated.  Sometimes I'll have them do the scene as an improv (after they know it, but before they could be reasonably off-book), to see what blocking bubbles up then go back and do it with the script and record it/solidify it.  And if it's a longer scene, I will set different memorization deadlines for different scections (e.g. you must be able to perform the first 2.5 minutes of the scene on stage on-book on one day, the whole scene on-book on anther day, the whole thing off-book with use of prompter on another, then without prompter).  And so on and so on.  Again, it takes a lot of effort to always be ready with a new little mini-lesson/min-lecture, but the upside is that by time I'm done talking daily setting up the daily focus they're chomping at the bit to get out of their seats.  And in reality, even with a new expressed focus, one day's rehearsal resembles the day before and day after more than than not.  Still, it reminds students that there a lot of ways to attack the text, and keeps things feeling somewhat fresh.  

Still, the sad thing is that they generally can't be counted on to rehearse for the span of time I've allotted on a given day, even when I know THEY NEED that time.  (I teach middle school, so perhaps the attention span is shorter than with high schoolers, but I suspect it's rough all over), so I really have to chunk up the hour with other things going on simultaneously, whether those be theatre games or what not.  

Where I always feel like I have a teaching deficiency is giving kids stuff to focus on regarding use of voice.  I feel like I can only say "project!" and "enunciate!" so many times in notes.  I know there must be vocal strategies that others use right there in the rehearsal room, and I'd love to hear them.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-24-2014 09:01
    I, too, feel your pain.  Each semester!  I am not sure there is anything you can do about the noise level.  Creation is loud and messy :-)  How about a larger space?  Unused hall area?  My current Black Box/Classroom space was an old storage area.  Think outside the "box".  Even if you could provide some alternative work for a portion of the group, I suspect it would still be loud. To expect one group to work silently while others are not is challenging.  
    I have a similar approach to what Ryan outlined above.  I have each day's work link to the rehearsal process. For example, we review the elements of a blocking rehearsal and then they work on that for the 20 minutes allotted to scene work for the day.  
    One thing I added this year that is helping the quality of work is Producer Conferences.  I explain that when they are creating their own scenes, essentially they become the Directors.  As Directors, they are responsible to the Producer of the show - me.  So, after a rehearsal they must conference with me to show the work they did in that rehearsal.  I initiated this concept because I knew they were spending only a few minutes talking about or "going over" the scene and then socializing.  I spent my time fussing at them to physically get up and work the scene.  It wasn't happening.... so I created the conferences much like English teachers hold paper conferences.  I can't tell you how many times a group has approached me to conference and when I say - great, set up your scene, they are surprised.  You want to SEE it?  Yep.  Uh, we'll get back to you....
    I have a grade attached to each conference.  Currently I hold conferences for Character Analysis, Text Analysis, Blocking, Developing, and Memorization.  Yes, it takes class time, but it has dramatically cut down on my paper grading and the students must be able to articulate and demonstrate their knowledge.  It's a win-win for me!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-24-2014 10:20
    I like the conferences, Amy.  I have also, if there are, say, only three to five scenes being rehearsal in the room, had "status of the class meetings" to begin and/or end class, e.g. "what is your group going to accomplish/what did you accomplish."  There are times when it sometimes helps to do this as a whole class so students can see that when their group is way off track relative to others,.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 6.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-25-2014 11:37
    I've had the same issue. Something I do to help seperate the groups is move into the auditorium instead of the classroom. I prety much told my administration that if the stage wasn't booked I would be in there. It's worked really well. And of course, I have the techs of the class. If I'm sorking on student direction I have the techs take on a scene each to work with. It gives them something to "do" that is valid in their heads and allows them to try out their directing skills. This is very important in out department because, occationally, I've allowed a really dedicated student to take on the challenge of directing the spring show.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 7.  RE: Rehearsal Activities

Posted 11-24-2014 10:32
    I am having these Sam struggles. Eager to see your responses ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck George Washington HS Denver, CO -------------------------------------------