Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical audience size and ticket prices

Posted 09-28-2013 13:43
    My admin would like me to increase the size of our audience.  We generally average about 250-300 audience members for our ever other year musical.  We charge $5 a ticket, because our community would not pay more than that.  What I would like to know it: How often do you produce a musical, your average audience size, and ticket prices. Thank you so much for your help!

-------------------------------------------
    Emily Call
    Drama Teacher
    Flowing Wells High School

• 2.  RE:Musical audience size and ticket prices

Posted 09-28-2013 13:53
    We have about 650 seats, but typically only sell about 150-200.  We are now doing $10.00 for all tickets.  Some other schools just outside my area have a bit more wealth and have ticket prices of $12.00 and sell even more tickets.  

There are many factors that go into it.  Cast size is a huge factor.    

Steven Fleming
    Lead Technical Theatre Teacher
    Howard County Public School System

• 3.  RE:Musical audience size and ticket prices

Posted 09-28-2013 16:13
    This is my first year at a new school.  But ticket prices are usually between 6 and 10 for the musicals.  In the past the school would bring in about 150 per show for most of their musicals, but the shows were spread out over two weeks without a lot of advertising.  This year we are only doing one weekend of shows and are looking for about 300 or so for the show, but hoping to get more in our auditorium.

Depending on what you think you could bring in, you may want to consider doing few shows to get more audience per show.  You could also look at setting up some partnerships with neighboring schools, you come to our show we will go to yours, you could also increase the size of your audiences.  If your musical is family friendly you could also set up a deal with the local elementary and or middle school to bring kids in for a cheaper ticket price.  500 kids at 3 dollars a piece would bring is 1500 which is more than 200 people at 5 dollars a piece, bringing in only 1000.  If those elementary or middle school kids like it, than they would ask their families to bring them in again.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD

• 4.  RE:Musical audience size and ticket prices

Posted 09-28-2013 17:41
    We have a house that seats 596 in an inner city urban school. Our prices have varied over the years, but we finally settled on $15 for adults, $10 for seniors/students and $5 for children under 10. The first year I was apprehensive, but we now consistently sell out the house. ------------------------------------------- Stewart Hawk Garfield High School Seattle, WA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE:Musical audience size and ticket prices

Posted 09-28-2013 20:47
    Unfortunately, I do not know the exact range of numbers that we normally see come through! I believe our theatre seats 500, but we do not fill all of the seats. We do a musical every spring and we charge $5 for every show. Except, we let students from our school in for free. This tends to draw a decent audience from the student body. If that is not something you currently do, that could draw in a bigger audience! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair