Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Walrus and the Carpenter - Production Advice?

Posted 11-16-2014 11:17
    Hi!  I'm doing Alice in Wonderland this year with my 8th graders.  I wrote the adaptation (which technically blends both Wonderland and Looking Glass).  I put in the Walrus and the Carpenter because I love it (and because it is the main part of the Tweedle Dee and Dum story).  What I'm trying to figure out is how to do it in the show, with Tweedle Dee and Dum narrating it). 

My options are:
    -Have students dressed as the characters come out and act as the characters.
    -Do hand puppets for the characters
    -Do shadow puppets as the characters

I really can't decide what I think would be better - so I guess I'm looking for any thoughts/input on it....

-------------------------------------------
    Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 2.  RE: Walrus and the Carpenter - Production Advice?

Posted 11-17-2014 08:48
    We did an adaptation of Alice a few years ago. We did the Walrus and Carpenter as an old silent film with little oysters using stop motion animation. I think you can do this scene very creatively -- the shadow puppetry sounds awesome! ------------------------------------------- Lisa Houston Pennington NJ -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Walrus and the Carpenter - Production Advice?

Posted 11-18-2014 21:00
    We just got done doing Alice in wonderland by Duffield as a blacklight production (ala Prague blacklight theatre). We had the tweedles and Alice in plain light and the walrus and the carpenter (and all the clams) in black light, enacting what the tweedles were saying... shadow puppets would be fun! the blacklight version was visually stunning.

Becky Caspersen
    Collierville TN