Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ice Cubes

Posted 11-15-2014 12:56
    Looking for ways to make large ice cubes to work as props for a dance show.  Any ideas that won't cause me to break the bank?

-------------------------------------------
    Lisa Tierney
    Director
    Coffee High School Theatre Arts
    Broxton GA

• 2.  RE: Ice Cubes

Posted 11-16-2014 23:01
    To make real ice cubes, I would get plastic shoeboxes, fill them and freeze them.  If you are going for fake cubes, I would also get plastic shoeboxes, and use white spray paint on the inside (light mist) to cloud them a bit.

Richard Shultz
    Derby KS

• 3.  Ice Cubes

Posted 11-17-2014 08:29
    I recommend wood blocks, painted to look like ice cubes, if necessary you can round and texture the corners by using 4x4 on the corners. Once shaped I would cover them with fabric to avoid splinters

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 4.  RE: Ice Cubes

Posted 11-19-2014 15:31
    I would suggest that you look into using pallet wrap (like saranwrap) around a rehearsal block, cardboard box, or other dimensional piece. You can get the pallet wrap in multiple colors but I would suggest blue and clear (Uline, Grainger). Paint the object a base white or blue color and wrap the pallet wrap around the object. You don't need to pull tight or even smooth out the wrap as it will give the ice texture, the more wraps you do, the more interesting the design. Mix the colors you have to vary the looks. Finish with a little spray of fake snow on some of the corners. The pallet wrap has a slight shine to it that makes it look wet under the stage lighting. In addition, if you have a frame with open sides that you wrap, the ice will be translucent and will slow light and shadows through it, which is always an interesting look. I worked on a dance show that used this method to create an ice cave and blocks of ice that was very effective and not too expensive. ------------------------------------------- Seth Werner Technical Director Central York High School York PA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Ice Cubes

Posted 11-20-2014 15:32
    Thanks to everyone who responded.  It sounds like we have several options to work with here.  You've all been a big help!

Lisa Tierney
    Director
    Coffee High School Theatre Arts
    Broxton GA

• 6.  RE: Ice Cubes

Posted 11-21-2014 00:14
    I think a great idea is to use layers of styrofoam sheets. You can get 4x8 sheets of 2inch foam at Home Depot for about $15, and cut it to whatever size you want and glue the layers together. To finish it off, wrap it in lightweight muslin and paint it. It will be sturdy and lightweight.

Bret Cherland
    Hemet CA