Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Professional Development

Posted 11-07-2014 16:47
    Greetings! I live in a rural area...far away from any other drama teachers. Does anyone have recommendations for worthwhile professional development for high school drama teachers?

-------------------------------------------
    Jane Dykas
    Teacher
    Parma School District
    Parma ID

• 2.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-08-2014 06:55
    Hi, There is an awesome PD every summer with Broadway Teachers Workshop in NYC. I used to live in the city and have been attending for about 5 years. It was really great because my school would pay since it was PD. you attend different workshops and see 4 shows in 3 days. I highly recommend if you can travel and afford the costs. hopefully your school can pay for it. :). The website is Broadway teachers workshop. ------------------------------------------- Colleen McEvoy Theatre Director Tampa FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-08-2014 07:28
    Yes! Broadway Teachers Workshop is great! I've been to it four times, each time I found information, connections, material I could bring back to my school. It is expensive but you get workshops with major theatre professionals and tickets to 4 Broadway shows. If you go, The YOTEL on 10th Avenue and 42nd Street is a great place to stay.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 4.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-08-2014 07:32
    Just a side note, PD credit is required in our teaching contract so any money I spend going to a PD workshop is deductible on my taxes. I save every receipt, even if it's a bottle of water! 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 5.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-09-2014 10:05

Broadway Teachers Workshop is just amazing!  It was worth every penny.  I saw wonderful shows ,met theatre teachers from everywhere, and the workshops were useful and innovative.  I am definitely going again!
    I also had an amazingly inspirational experience at Second City's summer session.  It was not geared to 'teaching' and I loved doing improv and sketch writing for my own enrichment.
    I recommend both!
    Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA

• 6.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-08-2014 15:05
    Jane,

Check out the Drama Academy at Theatrefolk.com.  I can take a variety of classes online and they have documentation to present to your administration to verify that the training is worth credit.  

Lynnae Lathrop
    MS Speech and Drama teacher
    Waukee Comm. School District
    Waukee IA

• 7.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-09-2014 15:35
    I am curious about the same thing! I think the EDTA conference is amazing and I recommend going. I've gone five times and have never been disappointed. ( and I've sent new drama teachers there too and they loved it). I am personally looking for a workshop between now and March. Anyone know of one? ------------------------------------------- Natasha Hart Montreal QC -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-09-2014 16:08
    Check out the Tennessee Arts Academy in Nashville, Tennessee. It is a week long event and occurs on the campus of Belmont University. The theatre component is well constructed and each year is completely fresh and original.  Participants rotate daily through classes conducted by three nationally recognized instructors brought in from all over the country. Each day also includes a variety of choice sessions,  performances and presentations by nationally known speakers. Last year Rupert Holmes (Curtains, Mystery of Edwin Drood) spoke and Rebecca Luker (Phantom, Sound of Music, Secret Garden) performed. Other notables have included Cherry Jones,  Marvin Hamlisch, Charles Strouse, Dean Pitchford, Marin Mazzie and Jason Danieley. They are just starting to assemble the faculty and performers for 2015. The website is: tennesseeartsacademy.org.

E. Frank Bluestein
    Germantown TN

• 9.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-10-2014 07:27
    Besides EdTA and Broadway Teacher's Conference, both of which I love, I also swear by the Teachers Festival Liaison Council Conference in Stratford, Ontario each October (I'm in Michigan, so it's only about a three hour drive).  Unfortunately EdTA and Stratford often conflict or are on consecutive weekends, which makes it hard to do both in the same year.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 10.  RE: Professional Development

Posted 11-10-2014 10:07
    I'd recommend checking out the English Speaking Union's scholarship opportunites to attend a 3-week session at the Globe Theatre in London. I went last summer and use alot of the ideas in my regualr class in addition to working Shakespeare. I also recommnd the EdTA conference and I'd check with the State Board for you to find out if anything is offered through them.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ