Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  cell phones

Posted 11-06-2014 19:33
    What has worked for you in getting students to keep cell phones in pockdts or back packs when other students are performing. ? ------------------------------------------- Ed Grooms Fine Arts Coordinator Webster Groves School District Ballwin MO -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-06-2014 20:22
    I think that this question has come up before; just to throw in again, I have all students give up their phone at the start of rehearsal. They understand that to quibble is to make the choice of leaving the show. I put my own phone in there too, as my own ADD plays havoc in slow rehearsals, so when they see that, they concede its necessity. No problems so far! ------------------------------------------- Phillip Goodchild Valrico FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-07-2014 06:40
    During rehearsal, I have a cell phone "parking lot".  I have a little sign (Cell Parking), and I have a student who makes yellow parking lines out of spike tape on the very front of our stage.  EVERYONE is required to put the device in parking.  There are "tickets" for failing to do so or for having a phone that goes off on the front of the stage disrupting rehearsal.  During production week, the parking moves to a basket backstage where students can watch me put the basket behind a locked door (to prevent theft).

My students have become very good "cell phone police".  You don't want to be the kid who has his/her phone backstage (the positive use of peer pressure).  They are allowed to take the phones out of parking during a break and after notes (or when I want them all to put something in their calendars).  I actually had a student this year mention how nice it was not to be attached to the phone for a couple of hours (imagine that)!

-------------------------------------------
    Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 4.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-07-2014 07:51
    For me the key was announcing the cellphone ban during auditions, sticking to it, and making certain I adhered to my rehearsal schedule and didn't have people sitting around for long periods of time during the first weeks of rehearsals. When I directed AS IT IS IN HEAVEN last year, a period piece, I was very clear at the auditions that no cell phones or computers (other than ones needed by the stage manager and assistants) would be allowed in the rehearsal room, not even during breaks. Students were permitted to bring books and other homework material in the room, but not computers or pads. I reiterated the rules at the call backs, telling actors to think long and hard about the discipline required for an ensemble play. My stage manager decorated a box and we all put our phones in it at the beginning of each rehearsal and didn't take them out until we were leaving for the night. 
    The students grumbled at first, but got used to it. I was delighted that the stage manager, unprompted, even brought the box to the theatre for the crew to use during tech and performances.
    What validated my decision was hearing the students, unprompted, describe their rehearsal process during three different talkbacks, proudly telling of the cellphone ban and explaining how they became a tighter ensemble because of it. They actually talked to each other during breaks, the juniors and seniors getting to know the freshmen and sophomores much better than if they had all sat around texting. Now, a year later, I can see on Facebook what good friends they all still are.
    It may be harder with high school students, but I think it's worth the effort! Again, the key is informing from the beginning and scheduling well. Good luck!

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 5.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-07-2014 10:04
    We also take the phones and lock them up so that there isn't any theft. My stage manager is really good about informing me of infractions.

I do have to say that I really like the "cell parking lot" idea. I'm going to steal that one. :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-07-2014 10:22
    I have a small fabric cube called the "Phone Bin." All phones must be surrendered during rehearsals and performances. I use the example of an athlete on the bench or on the field/court. They aren't on their phones, either, as they practice and play.
    In class, they aren't allowed to have phones. They do have iPads, though, and one of my classroom guidelines is no photos or filming without the actors' and my permission.  They don't really take advantage, because they know how they would feel if a video of their performance was spread without their permission.
    LH

Lisa Houston
    Pennington NJ

• 7.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-07-2014 11:12
    I got this idea from my son who is working with Lexington Children's Theatre. They made a hanging holder for the kids water bottles on the door. I took the easy way and bought a hanging shoe holder that is attached to the entrance door. Their name is in the slot and they drop their cell phones off on the way in and pick them up on the way out. It has been a MIRACLE! ------------------------------------------- John Freeman Theatre Director / Fine Arts Directors Mount de Sales Academy Macon GA -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-08-2014 12:28

Cool idea.  I am going to try it! Thanks for the share.
    Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 9.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-09-2014 12:27

My students came up with the idea of using a behind the door organizer with an assigned slot for each person. They put their cellphones in their slot at the beginning of rehearsal. It also makes for a quick way for stage managers to take roll.
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix High School

• 10.  RE: cell phones

Posted 11-09-2014 19:42
    Last year during our winter show it got really bad, so I got a basket that sat on the front of the stage during rehearsal and we ALL, myself included, put our phones in there.  During shows I locked the basket in my room.

We've had two shows since then and it hasn't been an issue.  I do like the idea of the hanging shoe organizer, but I'm curious - how do you make sure they aren't stolen?

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR