Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  PE Credit for Musical

Posted 11-05-2014 10:15
    Greetings Fellow Theatre Enthusiasts - 

Does anyone know where I can find schools that provide PE Credit for their musicals?  I know they are out there, but I can't seem to find anything easily online.  I can find marching band and show choir, but no musicals.

Thanks - 

-------------------------------------------
    Dawn Hoy
    Watsonville CA

• 2.  RE: PE Credit for Musical

Posted 11-06-2014 09:19

Hello,

We offer students the choice of receiving either P.E. or Fine Arts credit with their participation in the musical depending on their needs.  We are on a trimester schedule, so it tends to serve those student athletes that play a sport during the Fall and Spring trimesters.
    Message me if you would like more information.

KM
    Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 3.  RE: PE Credit for Musical

Posted 11-06-2014 10:09
    We can provide PE credit for musicals.  But we only allow it if the students actually need the PE credits and I sign off on them.  Depending on my cast size as well, we have done the musical as a Production class as well, which gives students elective credits.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 4.  RE: PE Credit for Musical

Posted 11-07-2014 01:15
    Our students can earn PE Credit for participating in the musical, similar to a varsity sport.  They prove they met a certain athletic standard with our choreographer and track the hours they have rehearsed, they also write an essay connecting their work onstage and off with individual goals and physical objectives.  It was an effort to get initial approval but we worked closely with our PE Department and now have their support and blessing.

Darrell Miller
    Enumclaw WA
    Darrell_Miller@enumclaw.wednet.edu

• 5.  RE: PE Credit for Musical

Posted 11-09-2014 14:47
    Dawn, 
    We offer PE credit for the Musical. The students can choose between signing up for Musical Theater Production (which is VAPA credit) or Dance Production  (which is PE credit).  However, in California and the "highly qualified teacher" requirement.  The teacher has to have a Dance or PE credential.  

It's that credential problem in Theater and Dance in California. 
    I am able to qualify for PE because my credential allowed me to have a supplemental in Dance/PE.  

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Mission Viejo High School
    Laguna Hills CA