Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  30 minute Drama Class- Help!

Posted 11-03-2014 09:12
    My school is doing something new this year as enrichment for students who have met "benchmark" in all other content areas. Thus, I will start teaching a 30 minute theatre class this week, and everyday for the next 12 weeks.  I plan on letting them choose a 10-minute play and they work on all production aspects for it within the 30-min time frame each day.

However, I must be able to show student growth from beginning to end. Do any of you all have a general "theatre proudctuon" quiz I could use to pre-test the students knowledge? 

Or do you have any other ideas that we might do for our short class?  Most of the students in there have no theatre experience by the way.

-------------------------------------------
    Kala Cookendorfer
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Morehead KY

• 2.  RE: 30 minute Drama Class- Help!

Posted 11-03-2014 09:21
    Pre and Post Self-Evaluations are a really great way of showing growth. You could come up with a writing prompt for that they would complete before they actually start. It asks them to consider what they want the audience to take away from their performance, how they're going to decide what the staging/blocking will look like, etc. When they've finished with the performance, have them review their pre-evaluation and then take a more specific post-evaluation. This way you get writing samples from the beginning and the end, and their reflection will (should) show the growth in their process.

Jeremy Stoll
    Teacher/Director
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: 30 minute Drama Class- Help!

Posted 11-03-2014 09:59
      |   view attached
    As Jeremy stated, the reflective writing component is an essential and useful tool to show growth, though not always quantifiable. If you use it in conjunction with a pre/post test, you could get a useful package of results. In addition to these tools, I use a 'confidence' pre- and post- test, which measures student self-worth indicators via a series of statements with which they agree or disagree. I've attached it for fun. It takes a while to tabulate the data, but you can show quantifiable improvements in student self-image/confidence and other markers. If you use it, be sure to coach the students that the questions need to be read carefully (so they don't circle '5' for everything, because that would land them in a world of contradictions!)

Hope this helps!

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL