Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Auditioning Greek chorus

Posted 10-29-2014 23:57
    Good evening!

I'm directing Antigone, friends, and would love any and all input on activities to audition a chorus.

I have some things I've done to promote group movement, choral speaking, but I'm always on the hunt for more.

If you have any suggestions on intense ensemble activities - both to do in a group audition setting and in rehearsal - please let me know.

I'm interested in very cohesive movement and speaking - much like the Butoh of OSF's Tempest, for those of you who saw it, for example...

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    Nipomo CA

• 2.  RE: Auditioning Greek chorus

Posted 10-30-2014 10:04
    I have directed several plays with a Greek Chorus. For workshops prior to the audition date and for auditions, I choose 6 to 8 lines of text and divide the students into small groups. During workshop time each group creates and blocks a choral reading of the text to be shared with the whole. We discuss the high points of each performance and then allow the students to rework their piece. For Auditions I choose different text and of course, the students are grouped differently. Each group is given 20 minutes to work on their piece while an opposing group auditions with other material. I have each group present their piece several times while the next group is preparing. I encourage each group to memorize as much as possible, but do allow scripts in hand as needed.

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA

• 3.  RE: Auditioning Greek chorus

Posted 10-31-2014 14:52
    Hi Nathan,

One thing to do is play a song which evokes something you are looking for in the play.  Tell the group you are going to give them a topic or theme and you would like them to create an add on stage picture which relates to the theme/topic.  Each person takes a position and then the next person joins and so on.  There is no talking.  Then play the music and let them go.  You can see a lot from this.  Does the actor take in what others are doing and add to the picture?  Is the actor only interested in self?  Does the actor add to the vibe of the piece through her/his choices?  This is a quick warm-up sort of test, but it's a good way to see how open to just trying things your actors are.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR