Open Forum

View Only

Line Memorization/Preparation

• 1.  Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-29-2014 07:32
    My students are having some serious trouble this fall with memorization.  We are approaching Tech and Dress rehearsals for "Midsummer" and they are seriously unprepared.  Does anyone have suggestions to motivate students to get the work done early?  Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 2.  RE:Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-29-2014 07:39
    Our mantra in our program is "rehearse together, practice alone." We emphasize how important it is to do the work of memorization, diction, and projection at home. Since we have begun stressing the importance of this, I've seen kids show up for rehearsal much more prepared. For us it's less about specific techniques of memorizing and more about creating a culture that encourages kids to do the work themselves and show up ready when the time arrives.

Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 09:02
    Here's a summary of an article on Memorization I wrote for Dramatics a few years ago. Hope it helps.

Here follows a list of memorization suggestions contributed by others or mentioned or implied in the article. Try them out as your time and energy allows.

1. Treat memory as you would a muscle. Do it regularly and get better at it. Increase the amounts you take on to memorize each day as your ability grows.
    2. Find a time of day that best works for you to memorize. Consider that time sacred and make sure you use your best time for memorizing whenever possible.
    3. Memorize before you go to bed and sleep on it.
    4. Repeat lines in your head all through the day.
    5. Read the lines over and over before trying to memorize them.
    6. Learn the ideas and their interconnectedness before trying to memorize.
    7. Learn the story of the lines before you learn the lines.
    8. Say your lines aloud rather than in your head.
    9. Say your lines aloud and in your head.
    10. Say your lines while moving around.
    11. Picture your lines as images as you say them.
    12. Remember the feelings that the words and images create, not just the words.
    13. Write your lines down before you memorize them. Write them as you are memorizing them.
    14. See all of your lines in a scene as one big whole. Rewrite them as though they are a monologue. Examine this monologue in terms of its dramatic progression. Divide into its beginning section, middle section, and concluding section. Then divide each section into its constituent parts. Once you understand all of each section, and its cause and effect relation, then memorize.
    15. Figure out what the character is actually saying when he says what he says before trying to memorize it. (This is not the same thing as memorizing the way to say it. That should be avoided absolutely.)
    16. Use mnemonic devices to help remember lists. Anagrams, rhymes, silly sentences, and song tunes, for instance, can be all effective.
    17. Tape your part into a recorder and once you have memorized sections, repeat it along with your taped version.
    18. Learn the part by listening and reciting with your taped version.
    19. Listen to your taped version and develop specific gestures, movements, and business that you actually do while listening. Eventually, the physicalities will help you remember the lines.
    20. Memorize by beats. Learn a beat, add a beat, repeat the already learned and add the new beat.

Bruce Miller
    Miami FL

• 4.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 08:31
    Thank you Bruce Miller!  As soon as I read the post I thought of your article, but hadn't had time to post a link.  I use this every semester in my beginning Acting classes to teach memorization.  
    And many of your other articles as well -  Thank you for your work!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 5.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 14:38
    A few thoughts:

1. I schedule a time about half way through the rehearsal period when I expect everyone to be off book with cues, then a couple of rehearsals later, off book without cues. I explain to them that it is embarrassing and annoying to stand up on stage without a clue, but I'd much rather they go through that pain now than later on in front of an audience.

2. I have always found that having understudies, and actually using them, will provide the push an actor needs to study.

3. I survey every new bunch of actors I work with about their favorite memorization strategy. Some can only memorize on their feet, preferably on stage. They run it, go back, and run it again.
    Some read a script to themselves, over and over.
    Some make a recording and play it back over and over.
    Some work best with a partner, preferably a mean one, who will drill them over and over.
    Some write the whole script out, several times.
    Some use a combination of styles.
    The one thing that all memorization styles have in common is that they have to be repeated.
    I remind actors that the french word for rehearsal is répétition.

4. I like telling young actors that lines are to acting as gas is to a car. You might look good, but you aren't going anywhere without it.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 6.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 14:41
    One other thing, since it's Shakespeare: Trying to memorize lines that you don't understand is like trying to memorize something in an ancient, unknown language. All you're memorizing is sounds.

Billy Houck
    Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 7.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-29-2014 16:57
    I'm a natural memorizer, so teaching my students how to memorize is something I really have to think about.  I do know that writing words out helps connect them to pathways in the brain, so I like this recent article I saw in Backstage:

http://www.backstage.com/advice-for-actors/backstage-experts/4-steps-memorizing-lines-and-developing-character-simultaneously/
    Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR

• 8.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 02:46
    I like to introduce them to lots of techniques and encourage them to try different things and talk to each other.  Honestly, I don't know what happened this year - they were off back and only called line for 2 rehearsals - and at one of those they called line once!  I have no idea how that happened but I'm just being thankful and going with it.  It'd be nice if it's a cultural shift but I'm not quite that optimistic.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 9.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 14:48
    Mark Northrup sent me this great list of tricks which he meant to send to the whole forum.  It's his first post, and I'm so glad he sent it!  I let him know I would post it for him if I didn't see it in the thread, so here you go:

Message From: Mark Northrup

Hello, I created this document for kids struggling in my program.  They appreciate the 'tricks'.  Some of them

Theatre 

Tips for Memorization

Theatre/English/Life/Spanish Class? Dude just memorize it, sucka.

1. Read it 30 times.  Commit to reading it 30 times.
    2. Sing it to a song (monologues)
    3. Practice in Shower.  Put it in a sheet protector.
    4. Clear Plastic Binder: Passing time approach...in the hallways, read your lines in the binder pocket.  5 minutes a day passing time.  5 x 8 classes= 40 minutes of practice. 
    5. iPod / iPhone record it: You sound great : ) LISTEN TO YOURSELF.
    6. Write it all out, several times.  
    7. First Letter Sequence: IPATTFOTUSOA  (Can you say these letters in sequence?  Do you KNOW your lines? -- This is the pledge) 
    8. SPEED THROUGH FAST, FASTER, GOOOOOOOOOOOOO- don't think
    9. Work with Partners.  
    10. Flashcards for each line or beat sequence: Keep them in order
    11. Physicalize it: Move around your bedroom, different places for ideas
    12. Build upon the sentences, Once, Once Upon, Once Upon A, Once Upon A Time
    13. Whisper method:  Volume affects the mind, the "HOW WELL" you know something
    14. Relationships of words you are memorizing to your life: Tell the story of your life.  It is concrete.
    15. YOUNG ACTORS:  getting it "mostly" isn't good enough.  Imagine singing the national anthem with different words.  You'd get laughed off the stage, or people would be angry as hornets, and for good reason.  "Specificity wins the game.  Work for Specificity"  

Mark Northrup
    Director
    Fairport High School
    Fairport NY

• 10.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 07:18
    I have two techniques that I teach my students for individual memorization.  The first is fairly common.  Record yourself reading the lines, both yours and anyone else in the scene, but whisper your own lines.  Play it back and speak your lines on cue with the whisper to prompt if you forget a line.  The second I learned many years ago from Dave Greenham :) The very last thing before you go to sleep should be to read through your script.  The whole thing or a particular part you are having trouble with.  Your brain will think it over all night and before you know it, you know all of your lines and cues!

Hope that helps, Rick!

Kit Rodgers
    New Hampshire Chapter Co-Director
    Dover NH

• 11.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 09:09

I've been in a couple plays where memorization has been a problem. If it isn't an issue of how to memorize lines, but simply lacking the motivation to do the work required, speed throughs before every rehearsal usually help. Not the most fun thing in the world, but sitting around in a circle and reciting those lines as quickly as possible, without other distractions, lets everyone see who is holding up the process. That kind of on-the-spot attention can be pretty good motivation for the individual to go home and study. No one wants to be the one everyone is staring at, waiting on a line.

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 12.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 09:23
    Some great take-aways for me. Loved the article from Backstage, too.

A slightly off-beat method that would work in tandem with other suggestions, and is an extension of what the Backstage article writes of. There's no substitution for knowing why you're saying the lines, as others have stated.

What I do, after writing out my lines, is to write out the lines again, but only the first letter of each word. This allows me to write them out at the speed of natural speech. If I was memorizing the first sentence of this post, it would look like this as I write it out:

S g-t f m. L t a f B, t.

I include the punctuation, to give me the sense of the inflections and tones. It aids one in remembering the whole line by giving you a one letter cue, and is easier to carry around as it usually ends up compacting a whole script onto one or two pages. The students who have tried this method, swear by it. It's just one more potential trick you can share with your students. It's my preferred method as a visual learner. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 13.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-30-2014 14:18
    Once we block a scene they are expected to be off book the next time we come to that scene in rehearsal. This system seems to work for me. I typically don't have an overwhelming problem. There is always one or two that have issues, but for the most part they know I mean business. Typically once they have the embarrassing experience of having to continually call for line they have it memorized the next rehearsal. 

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA

• 14.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 08:20
    With my beginning kids (and it usually sticks around through my advanced students) I tap into 3 types of memories:  Kinesthetic, repetitive and sequential.  I have them start with their monologue and put a small movement or gesture with each sentence.  I then have them link the fist and second sentences and movements together, then repeat the 1st and 2nd sentences and add the third.  Because each sentence has a gesture or movement associated with it they kinesthetically relate that movement with the line.  Because they repeat in order (1, 12, 123, 1234, 12345, etc), they have the first ones down completely with no problem.  Obviously this takes no account of motivation or inner monologue.  However, I can't do any serious character work with students until their lines are memorized and this does it very quickly and efficiently.

Kristie Bach
    Traverse City MI

• 15.  RE: Line Memorization/Preparation

Posted 10-31-2014 14:57
    Plan to have a few people visit a rehearsal, like maybe an English class.  

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR