Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Strong Female Lead?

Posted 10-29-2014 07:30
    We have a good number of talented guys in our program, so our shows tend to focus on boys. Our last six shows (including our upcoming winter production) have been male-heavy, with male leads, so we feel we need to consider a play for the spring that gives our young ladies a chance to be the focus. We are looking for something serious/tragic, with a medium-sized cast (8-11 or thereabouts) and a strong central female. We'd like to avoid Greek tragedy. What are your favorite shows that fit these parameters? What shows have worked for you? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

-------------------------------------------
    Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 10-30-2014 08:32
    Two Lillian Hellman titles immediately came to mind-- The Little Foxes and The Children's Hour. Best of luck.

Tom Lupfer
    Director-Pascack Valley HS--Hillsdale, NJ
    Drama Teacher/Director-Glenfield MS--Montclair, NJ

• 3.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 10-30-2014 09:56
    I love the Crucible.  It still has plenty of male roles, but there are also lots of female roles and they have tons of depth.  Definitely fits the "serious/tragic" qualification.

Morgan Cruse
    Ridgeland MS

• 4.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 10-30-2014 12:43
    I suggest The Children's Hour or perhaps Little Women, although I have yet to produce either.

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 5.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 10-30-2014 15:12
    The Diary of Anne Frank is the first that comes to mind. The Wendy Kesselman adaptation was really popular for us. I haven't produced it bu Jane Eyre is another option...

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 11-12-2014 19:21
    CHILDREN'S HOUR has a large quantity of strong women's roles, not the least of which are the two female leads. You need two separate sets, or suggestions of two separate locations, however. 
    Another quality show with a top-notch female lead is NIGHT WATCH, by Lucille Fletcher. It's a thriller with quite a twist at the end. Also, check out WAIT UNTIL DARK. It has a small cast-only 5-but you can't beat Suzy, the "#1 blind lady!"

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA

• 7.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 11-13-2014 11:12
    Take a look at Radium Girls by D.W. Gregory.  Originally written for at least 4 men and 5 women.  There are many good male and female roles, some can be doubled.  I plan to cast about 20 students but casting is very flexible and sounds like it might work for your program.  Fascinating story--based on real life events.  Great dramaturgical opportunity as well. 

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 8.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 11-12-2014 23:50
    If you are interested in a mystery, you might look at "Night Must Fall" by Emlyn Williams.  I loved directing it.  Written in 1937, it has become public domain, so you can format and print your own scripts and not have to pay royalties.  (I don't mind paying royalties to living playwrights.)

http://archive.org/stream/nightmustfallapl000840mbp/nightmustfallapl000840mbp_djvu.txt

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 9.  RE: Strong Female Lead?

Posted 11-19-2014 11:38
    Wit. It's written for for 3w, 3m and 4 flex, but we did it with 8 girls and 1 boy (it was for our one act, and we ended up taking out the father scene - if you keep it, you would want at least 2 boys). Just make certain you have a brilliant female lead who can carry a show, since she will be on stage the entire time. It was a very powerful experience for all involved, and all of us fell in love with Margaret Edison's writing and ideas. 

Kenneth Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Fayetteville GA