Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  NYC Tours

Posted 10-15-2014 13:21
    If you take student groups to NYC, would you mind sharing some information about what tour group you use?  Or do you make your own tour?

Do you go by train or bus?

Has anyone used Gerber tours for a student trip to NYC?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Meredith Stephens
    Greensboro NC

• 2.  RE: NYC Tours

Posted 10-16-2014 07:09
    Hi Meredith,
    We live within an easy (7 hour) bus trip of NYC so I make my own arrangements.  I have used Broadway.com to arrange tickets, meals and workshops, but have also made all arrangements on my own.  I used to work in NY so we have no need for a tour leader.  Our last trip was a 24 hour blitz, loading the bus at 6:00 am Saturday, arriving in NYC in time to see three shows, then getting back on the bus at 11:00 pm (still Saturday) and driving home overnight.  We try to see shows that are off- or off-off-broadway as well as the big hits.  It's exhausting but less expensive so we get more participants who would not otherwise be able to make their first trip to the big city.

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 3.  RE: NYC Tours

Posted 10-16-2014 07:13
    We use Rob Lewis at Bob Rogers Travels.

We sleep on the bus on the way there and back.  Two nights in a hotel (in New Jersey to save money).  Three Broadway shows.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: NYC Tours

Posted 10-16-2014 07:38

I take a very large group every two years. I use Junior Tours. They are based in New Jersey. They will accommodate all your needs. They provide a bus and a 24-hour tour guide. I have done this trip four times now and have never had any issues. It's well organized and very reasonably priced. The reps there are very knowledgeable about NYC and what to see and do. They also have workshops in which my students participate that are quite enjoyable. I hope this helps.
    Zena Rodriguez
    Coconut Grove FL

• 5.  RE: NYC Tours

Posted 10-16-2014 08:13
    I take students to New York every year, but I plan the trips myself.  The first year we went, I used Gerber Tours and I was very disappointed with everything from the cost of the trip to the hotel (conveniently located in New Jersey, so we spent a large chunk of time every day commuting). 

If you're familiar with the city, it's easier and more cost-effective to book everything without going through a tour company.  I have a fantastic travel agent who takes care of our airline tickets, but the rest I do myself.

We have taken Amtrak before.  Taking the train is a great way to travel and adds to the experience, but it also adds a full day (and night) to our trip, so it works better for us to fly.

Your biggest difficulty will be finding affordable hotel rooms, but that just takes a little time. 

Good luck--

Janie Modlin

Jane Modlin
    Director of Theatre
    Ashland Independent Schools
    Chesapeake OH

• 6.  RE: NYC Tours

Posted 10-16-2014 12:21
    We are currently working with Integrity Tours.  They have been great about accommodations and adjustments with the prices and itinerary when necessary. 

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX