Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  radio

Posted 10-07-2014 22:53
    Hello! I'm teaching a unit on radio theatre - does anyone have any info, websites about radio in the 30's/40's? Thank you! ------------------------------------------- Connie Sandoz Theatre Director Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: radio

Posted 10-08-2014 07:55
      |   view attached
    Connie, there are a TON of sites out there. Here are but a few. Just Google the term "Vintage Radio Shows" or "Classic Radio Shows"

https://archive.org/details/oldtimeradio
    http://www.radiolovers.com/
    http://www.oldradioworld.com/
    http://www.otr.net/

I would strongly suggest watching at least part of the documentary "The Battle Over Citizen Kane," available on the "Kane" DVD/bluray. A fair amount of time is spent on Orson Welles' radio career. 

One of the more interesting bits of trivia from that time: Ora Daigle Nichols. Head of the CBS sound Dept. in the 30s, she was pretty much the only woman in the sound effects field at the time. She was portrayed as the fictionalized "Toni" by Shelley Morrison in the wonderful 1975 TV movie "The Night That Panicked America." TNTPA is sadly not available on home video, but YouTube to the rescue! It's a great look at War of The Worlds, and really gives an excellent look behind the scenes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6Ipwx86oU

I have attached a Powerpoint presentation I made a couple years back for a class I was subbing. It's about Orson Welles, so contains quite a bit of WOTW stuff. You will need to customize for your own use. (Anyone is free to take a look and use, just attribute! My name is pronounced "Peeler")

Can you tell I spent 10 years in radio?

Scott

-------------------------------------------
    Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

Attachment(s)

pptx
    Orson Welles.pptx   1.32 MB 1 version

• 3.  RE: radio

Posted 10-08-2014 10:32
    Over time, I developed a radio play unit that I used with my Theatre 1 classes (mixed grades 9-12).

I started with a short talk about the "radio days" that came even before my time - today I might even pull up and show a clip from, say, The Waltons, showing the family seated around the radio in the living room, hanging on every word of a presidential speech or laughing at Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy or something.

Then played them recordings of two radio plays, a comedy and a drama.  For the comedy, I most often used an episode of Our Miss Brooks commonly called "Weekend at Crystal Lake" - the kids get most of the jokes, and they laugh for the right reasons.  For the drama, I'd alternate between the "Sorry, Wrong Number" episode of Suspense and the Mercury Theatre's adaptation of The War of the Worlds.  When I started doing this, I was playing cassette tapes of the shows, but cyberspace has made it easier than ever to get your hands on old-time radio plays.

After each listening session, I'd have the kids discuss ways that radio storytelling differs from stage storytelling, with special attention to the ways writers get around the missing visual element.

Then I'd divide the class up into groups, and have each group cooperatively write a short radio script to rehearse and perform.  I have a collection of sound-effects recordings that they can draw from, and these days they can even download any number of free, legal sound-effects files.

I could usually break down this unit so that I got several grades out of it along the way.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 4.  RE: radio

Posted 10-08-2014 11:20
    Sorry, Wrong Number is a great one to read with kids.  I ask a few kids to be my Foley artists and give them a marked sound script a few days early.  We then read it aloud in class complete with sound effects.  There are some really neat Youtube videos out there about Foley artists.  I've found old Flash Gordon and The Shadow scripts on-line that my students perform using a couple of mics and make their own sound effects (no i-phones for this assignment!).  

Have fun!

Cindy Skelton
    Drama Teacher
    San Mateo Union High School District
    Burlingame CA

• 5.  RE: radio

Posted 10-08-2014 12:01
    I LOVE teaching radio and Reader's Theatre. My wife, also a teacher and writer, found this website a few years ago. It's brilliant:
    http://www.genericradio.com/library.php

Good luck.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE: radio

Posted 10-10-2014 16:54

I teach a radio unit in my middle school theatre. Some suggestions:

Find some way to engage students while listening to the radio shows. For example, I've required students to draw a picture of what is being described as they listen to "War of the Worlds", or I've found script copies of the radio show so they can read along as they listen, or require them to take notes as they listen to a "Dragnet" episode of the different clues they find and then give a quiz at the end to see if they were paying attention.

I also liked listening to the "five minute mysteries" as an example because they were short, but interesting and then require the students to perform their own five minute radio mystery. 

I've used old-fashioned cassette recorders for them to record their own radio shows, or record on a flip camera and just playback the audio, or last year I allowed some students to record the shows on their phones, and then just hook up their phones to speakers I have in my classroom to play them back. 

My husband used to work in radio, so I've had him come and be a guest speaker before too to kind of show how modern radio stations work too. 

Have fun! I love teaching the radio unit!
    Kathy Hobbs
    Georgetown TX