Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Cultural Shift?

Posted 09-30-2014 06:54

I just closed my fall production.  For the first time in 15 years, I, personally, had a poor experience.  Production week was a nightmare.  There was a lot of in-fighting among students and very mean and hurtful things being said to/about one another in dressing rooms, restrooms, backstage etc.  I had adult volunteers and my assistant director backstage, but some of it still couldn't be caught/curbed. We lectured.  We contacted parents. I directly addressed individuals involved.  We modeled behaviors (including a compliment circle & a basket of Hugs).  I had expereinced senior members mentor my large group of neophytes.  I even contacted administration.  I also told the students if it didn't stop they risked involvement in future productions.

I have a friend also currently directing a show (at another school) having similar issues for the first time.  I have always taken a lot of pride in the fact that 1.  the theatre is a safe place  2.  We create a sense of family  3.  A production is a memorable moment in life 4.  The life skills learned here apply everywhere.  I feel like I failed at many of these for my students this fall.

With that said, I have two questions.  1.  How do you combat these issues?  2.  Is this a cultural shift I (and my peer) am expereincing?  If so, what are the adaptations?

Thank you all for your hard work and time you give to students.  I have found this board to be very knowledgable and helpful!

-------------------------------------------
    Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 2.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 09-30-2014 09:38
      |   view attached
    Cultural shift? Don't know as I'd go that far. I think the factors at play have always been here, you just got hit with a perfect storm.

We are dealing with a generation that has been told it's all about them, and they have social media to back it up. We have a climate that says "Well, this is the way I am, and it's your responsibility to deal with it." Plus an educational environment where the benefit of the doubt is immediately given to the student. Which means we no longer think we can say "I'm sorry. This is unacceptable."

You may feel like you failed, but ultimately, it's not all on you. Perfect parents produce jerk offspring, and reprobates produce valedictorians. The individual has responsibility.

If you threatened that continuing behavior would jeopardize future involvement: FOLLOW THROUGH! If that means your next production goes from a cast of hundreds to a staging of "Waiting For Godot," so be it. Or cast a a midsize show, understudy the whole thing, and don't be afraid to pull parts in favor of understudies. Being in a show is a privilege, not a right.

Have a contract, some kind of covenant. Attached is the one I use. Now, I teach at a private Christian school, so you will likely need to modify this, but you get the point. It's a written way to acknowledge: this ain't about you, it's about the show.

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Cast & crew Covenant.pdf   45 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-01-2014 06:46
    Thank you.  I already have a contract, but parts of yours are really nice.  It is getting an edit.

I appreciate the rest of your message as well. 

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Plesant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 4.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-02-2014 14:46
    I like Scott's idea of understudies, but perhaps it would be more effective in you try to use understudies who were not in the previous production.

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 5.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-01-2014 09:18
    We are having the same problem, but the cause is a perfect storm of students that are the leaders of the disruption. Unfortunately, I am not the director and we need the bodies in the production. The students don't realize that this is their last performance at school and that the other students will respond positively when they see that the trouble-makers will not be in future shows.

But my major problem is that these students are also in my class and are causing the same disruptions in class. 

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-05-2014 09:41
    Sadly, the only thing to do is fire kids from the show.

The contract you use is a great tool. Following that up with a meeting with all parents and kids in the show at the start of the rehearsal period is also a great help.

I run a "Non-Cut" program so that everyone that auditions, or applies to work backstage, may do so. I make it clear that being a weak actor, poor singer, or clumsy dancer will not, necessarily, get you cut from a show. However, bad behavior, such as you have experienced, is the only sure-fire way to be taken out of the show.

For those kids that think theyre "all that" and cannot be replaced, I demonstrate early on that EVERYONE can be replaced and that, if necessary, I will play their role. This has lead to some very funny, yet poignant results in rehearsals.

In over 20 years, I've only had to fire a handful of kids (actors and tech crew). Only one of those was due to lack of skill. All the others were due to unprofessional attitude. And yes, while there was some fall-out from angry parents, and whispering in the hallways during school, it was always the correct decision.

In one instance, the offending student apologized, and came back two years later to be in her senior show. It was a great experience all around. So, that was a win-win.

Break a leg.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN

• 7.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-05-2014 21:18
    Sounds like you did a great job! 
    Sometimes, a bad apple can spoil the bunch.  The chorus director and I fired a "bad apple" who was bullying others from a show three years ago.  He was a popular senior and students still remember what happened. 
    We were thanked by many other students the next day.  I had never had to do that before.  I am so glad we did fire him.  I have since had to put someone else on a probation of sorts and she cleaned up her act. 
    Now , I feel grateful to the first fired student and the chorus teacher who gave me the guts to take action.  It was much easier the second time to make my point.
    Oh, and the student never apologized but we did share some nice moments later in the year.  I always emphasize- I may not like the behavior but I will always care about the student.
    This forum reminds me we are not alone and that is great!

Jan Jensen
    Tucker GA

• 8.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-06-2014 10:22
    I too use a contract that students and parents must sign when they audition.  I am very clear with parents particularly.  I have often found that the negative behavior is often spreading from one source and have twice in recent years, removed a student from a play.  It has made a huge difference but is really hard to do,  I have also told students who are unruly backstage  after our show closes  that they must sit out a year before they can audition again.  All of this is really tough.  

Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 9.  RE: Cultural Shift?

Posted 10-11-2014 06:48
    The contract is great because it protects you and gives you a means to do swift action. Valerie is absolutely right about the negativity coming from one location.  There is usually an antagonist in the group.  Isolate them. And the contract will give you the administration support you need. 

If it is a large group of people, it might be time to redevelop your core group.  Do a smaller show with the dedicated members and build up again.  

But the students have to understand that you will pull the trigger and replace them.  They have to respect their position.  It might cause instability for a moment but it will help in the long run.  

Allen Price
    California MD