Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for plays for African American elementary age students to perform

Posted 09-25-2014 21:47
    (This is a request from one of my graduate students.)

I am a first grade teacher and theatre educator.  I am also African American and 90% of my elementary aged students are as well. 

My passion is working with youth in the arts - especially in urban settings and I would love to put on a full scale production with my students at my school.  However, I'd  like to find plays that tells their stories from the African American perspective. I think my kids have exhausted the "Snow White" and "Cinderella" stories and I believe they are ready to showcase their stories. 

Please keep in mind, I'm not talking about the "ghetto," African folklore, or even slave narratives.  I'd like to find  plays with interesting characters that look like them and  talk like them - ones they can relate to.  I am also looking for material that has nothing to do with race. I don't believe that just because the characters are "black" that the story line has  to be about the color of their skin.  There is more to life than racial issues. 

The material must also be suitable for elementary students and their audience.  I've been able to find plays for middle and high school students but not for elementary aged students.

Ok! I know that seems like a tall order but - If anyone has any ideas or  resources  that could help in my endeavors, please let my professor, Dr. Flynn, know via this forum! 

-------------------------------------------
    Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 2.  RE: Looking for plays for African American elementary age students to perform

Posted 09-26-2014 00:37
    I've had luck adapting favorite children's books or poems into plays/performance pieces. 

I love The Dream Keeper and Other Poems by Langston Hughes.
    Tar Beach is lovely. 
    There's a great book called Phoebe the Spy about a young African American girl working in her father's pub.  It is "essentially historically accurate." 
    http://www.amazon.com/Phoebe-Spy-Judith-Griffin/dp/0698119568/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1411705821&sr=1-1&keywords=phoebe+the+spy

Almost anything by Ezra Jack Keats could be adapted into a fun play for young performers.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR

• 3.  RE: Looking for plays for African American elementary age students to perform

Posted 09-27-2014 07:38
    I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but this company has excellent group youth plays: http://www.childrenstheatreplays.com/welcome.htm

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 4.  RE: Looking for plays for African American elementary age students to perform

Posted 09-27-2014 08:25
    I have found that Gloria Clunie Bond's plays a way to charge our youth with wonderful scripts and history. ------------------------------------------- Karin Stratton Director / Instructor MSD of Pike Township Indianapolis IN -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Looking for plays for African American elementary age students to perform

Posted 09-27-2014 15:15
    You should check with my friend Richard Hitchler - the Artistic Director at Steppingstone Theatre for Youth Development in St. Paul, MN. They have developed a number of original and adapted scripts that are excellent and can be performed by students of different ages. 

I have been able to make arrangements for rights through him in the past.

I can also pass on your information to him. 

They've done some wonderful work - including that would be specific to African American history like:
    Ruby! The story of Ruby Bridges
    The Black Snowman
    They did one about Young Martin Luther King, Jr.and another one about black inventors.

They also do work that is just great for kids that is not race specific. I did their adaptation of The Stinky Cheese Man for my children's summer theatre - and it was so much fun.

http://www.steppingstonetheatre.org

651-225-9265

Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director
    St. Francis MN