Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-22-2014 14:06
    Has anyone done this show recently?  I'm wondering about what you used for the two identical switchblade knives?

-------------------------------------------
    Amy Crane
    Michigan City IN

• 2.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-22-2014 18:15
    We were able to find a fake switchblade knife that was actually a comb. We covered it with foil tape and it looked authentic.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE:12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-23-2014 07:21
    I agree with John: we used switchblade combs and altered the "blades" with tape. They're available on Amazon for a few dollars.

Jeremy Williams
    Adel GA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-23-2014 07:43
    I did this show a few years ago. You can buy switch blades online, though I do not recommend using your school computer to search without warning the tech department first as my searches red-flagged mine. :)

My suggestion is to buy at least one extra if you intend to have the actor stab the knife into the table. My table wood was rather hard and the repeated action from rehearsals was tough on the knife. I got through the run of the show, but had to repair the knife several times. I also dulled the blades down (like a butter knife) on a grinder and kept them locked in my office any time we were not using them on stage. They are still locked in my office. You definitely do not want these wandering around the your school - even if the blades are dull. 

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 5.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-23-2014 08:28
    I used switchblade combs.

Carolyn Kovar
    Florissant MO

• 6.  RE:12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-23-2014 09:27
    Yes, since a real switchblade is illegal in most states and dangerous, we also used the combs. We cut the tip of the comb to a point, filled in between the teeth with bondo ( found at your auto store) and then covered the blade with silver leaf. We even painted the black plastic handle to look more like wood. We also constructed a fake law "book" with floral foam under a paper cover. Then the actors would stab the "book" instead of a table.

Sean Blauvelt
    San Luis Obispo CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-24-2014 11:42
    Yes, switch blades are illegal in most states. I failed to mention in my previous post that I got permission from the local law enforcement by showing them my altered knives with the dull blades before using them on stage. I live in a very small community, though, and that may not work for you if you teach in a large city.

However, I really like the way Sean described his solution and I am sure it was much cheaper than the knives I purchased online! Great thinking, Sean!

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN

• 8.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-23-2014 11:10
    We are producing this show as well this year.
    Many knives today have a switchblade action without technically being a switch blade. No spring button. Opens with a flick of the thumb and wrist. Of course they have a safety locking mechanism as well. You could procure two identical knives that have this feature and then dull them for safety. In addition you would have more variety and choice with these types of knives rather than just the black handle switch comb.

Lucas Harms
    Luling LA

• 9.  RE: 12 Angry Jurors

Posted 09-24-2014 10:45
    I lived through the reality of The Angry Jurors.  Except that we had a Hispanic judge, a Cambodian refuge, a translator of Cambodian language, and a Vietnam Vet juror who was tired of immigrants coming to our country.  I'm sad to say I gave in because I felt physically threatened and the others convinced me that he would be convicted if they retried the case because I would not be there.  The young man was raised in a Thai refugee camp and spoke Thai, and I was the only one present at the trial who spoke Thai and knew that the translator was not translating right.  I was surprised at the prejudicial things that the prosecutor said during the trial that the judge allowed, starting with the questioning of the potential jurors.  I was asked if I would need a translator if I went to trial in Thailand as though to need a translator made you guilty.  I went home that day and told all my Asian and Hispanic friends if they ever were accused of a crime to be sure and have friends present in the audience because I was the only one to witness the many prejudicial things said at the trial.  It was such an eye opener for me to see how very prejudiced some of the jurors were.  I know we all are prejudiced at times, but you would think that as a jury you would be able to put that aside.  Most of us agreed that the prosecutor said things in his opening statement that he did not prove and that the defense didn't really defend.  For me, It was an eye opener to justice and I hope that your students can portray that doubt and the fear that speaking up in a locked room with a angry juror can bring.

Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR