Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Light repairs and stage maintenance

Posted 09-20-2014 23:54
    I hate to display my ignorance so publicly, but I'm new at theater maintenance.  After a few years of teaching theater out of a multipurpose room, I'm grateful that I get the opportunity to face these challenges.

My little theater is kind of cobbled together in some respects and I'd like to have it looked at by someone who can assess it's needs.  I know I have two cans that aren't working and have concerns regarding how the light and sound boards are rigged.  

Any recommendations as to who I can call in?  I'm in Solano county, the Fairfield area.

-------------------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Vallejo CA

• 2.  RE: Light repairs and stage maintenance

Posted 09-21-2014 22:57
    Tisha, if you aren't sure there is a problem with the way things are installed, there is no reason to raise an alarm. 

I got free informal inspections of both of our performance spaces by companies that sell equipment.  One of the companies was very helpful in telling me information about an ancient Decor lighting system, as well as giving me a written quote for replacement down the road.  Three companies gave me information about dangerous rigging that eventually led to the school system replacing it.  And having quotes on hand enabled me to get a $10,000 grant for lighting equipment. 

Bottom line, all I had were concerns when I started asking companies to come in and give me advice.  I didn't promise them that I would buy anything, but those companies have sold equipment and services totaling over $90,000 to us since then.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC