Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spelling Bee Comfort Counselor!

Posted 09-18-2014 15:19
    Hi Everyone!

I am directing The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee this winter with my high schoolers.  So excited because its the first "real" musical that the school is producing.  

Problem:  I teach in a school with a predominantly white student population, and I believe Mitch Mahoney is intended to be cast as a person of color-  or at least one who would not look or feel silly singing the gospel section of "Prayer of the Comfort Counselor".  

I am NOT trying to offend anyone, so I apologize in advance if I did.  I am just sincerely wondering how others with similar demographic problems have cast the role and if it worked or didn't work.  

I am MORE than willing to see the role in another light.  I just have never seen it as such and would love to know how it works.  I thought maybe a "Biker" type could be cast in the role, or some other intimidating looking person, but I really am not sure if that would work!  
    So- help!  Please and thank you!
    -------------------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts
    Pa Leadership Charter School
    West Chester PA

• 2.  RE: Spelling Bee Comfort Counselor!

Posted 09-19-2014 09:13
    I used an African American female in the role last year and it worked well.  I've also seen this performed with a biker type Caucasian female in the role.  If your actor/actress can handle the delivery of the song, then I think you can make this work.  We are a primarily African American school and pulled off the show with great success.  We had mixed race family groupings and because that is the norm in our community, there was no negative  feedback from our audience.  Enjoy creating these quirky characters! We had a great time with the show.

Laurie Tyson
    Theatre Director
    Luella High, Locust Grove, GA

• 3.  RE: Spelling Bee Comfort Counselor!

Posted 11-01-2014 00:17
    I saw this show at a nearby college. The comfort counselor was a tall, bulky white man with fake tattoo sleeves on, leather pants, bald head. As I was pulled from the audience to spell (and was the first one out of the spelling bee), I was a bit freaked as he tried to comfort me with the juice box. Maybe that would work. 

Break a leg - it's a great show.

On a side note, did you keep "My Unfortunate Erection" in the show? I'm thinking of this one in a next few years.
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN

• 4.  RE: Spelling Bee Comfort Counselor!

Posted 11-03-2014 09:25
    Hello Jared,

There are alternate lyrics available for "My Unfortunate Distraction". :-)

Hope those work for you.  The show was a hit at our school.

KM

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 5.  RE: Spelling Bee Comfort Counselor!

Posted 11-12-2014 19:38
    There is an alternate version of the "Erection" song. Not as funny as the original, but it works. I used it in my production, last spring, and no one knew the difference. 
    Make "Pandemonium" just that: total pandemonium. Invite clubs, cheerleaders, athletes, dog walkers, ice cream vendors, custodians, other staff, and whoever else you can think of to absolutely pack your stage. Oh, and if you can, drop confetti at the end of it. The audience will go nuts. Ours did. Of course, I won't talk about clean up, afterward, but everyone pitched in. 

Our Mitch was a very white "biker" type with a thick Jersey accent. 

Nancy Bernhard
    Salinas CA