Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-17-2014 07:56
    Has anyone done a theater or performing arts focused trip to a location other than NYC or London?  I am about 20 miles outside of NYC, so we do day trips, and I've taken groups to London twice in the past four years.  I'd like to find an alternative for next year - maybe Vienna/Salzburg or, if we stay domestic, Chicago.  I'm not looking for trips where students perform, but ones that include sightseeing, lectures, workshops museums, and attending a variety of performances (theater, music and dance).   I've looked at the tour companies we've used in the past (EF and Explorica) and nothing is jumping out at me. If you have done a similar trip and can provide info, I'd appreciate it.  Or if you can refer me to someone in your district that might have insight, that would be great as well!

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 2.  RE: Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-17-2014 19:02
    I can't speak from the point of view of taking a group on tour, but just in terms of available theatrical/cultural experiences, San Francisco and Minneapolis might be other interesting options stateside.  Or if you're able to do the trip in August, it could be neat to take them to Edinburgh during the Fringe Festival.

Brooke Pierce
    New York NY
    Sympathy Jones, the New Secret Agent Musical (www.sympathyjones.com)

• 3.  RE: Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-18-2014 11:22
    Consider Stratford, Ontario.  

I've not taken students there, but I have always wanted.  I attend their teacher's conference most every year.  We do an every-other-year trip to NYC, and that's enough for this middle school teacher, so I've not pursued Stratford much, and am a little unsure about the particulars of the border crossing, but the quality and number of shows is high.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-19-2014 08:11
    I teach drama at a rural high school in South Florida.  New York is a very expensive trip for us.  I wanted to show kids that while NYC is wonderful you can find great theatre in other parts of the country and it won't cost an arm and a leg..  We rented vans and drove to Atlanta, Georgia.  We spent 3 nights.  We saw a national tour, Second City Improv, The Georgia Shakespeare Company; and a touring Cirque du Soleil show.  We also did the sights of Atlanta.  Some kids said it was the best High School trip they had been on.  If I were you I would check out Chicago or Boston.  Most big cities have awesome regional equity theatre.

Annmarie Schwarz
    Principal
    Mr. David Hall
    Stuart FL

• 5.  RE: Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-18-2014 13:06
    I travel every year with my theatre kiddos - anywhere from 30 to 80 kids.  Chicago and LA as well as Toronto are great alternative destinations to NYC that we frequent.

My email is dsutton@pgisd.net.  I use a GREAT travel company - happy to share info with you if you are interested.

Debby Sutton
    Theatre Director/ Fine Arts Chair
    Texarkana TX

• 6.  RE:Performing Arts Trips

Posted 09-19-2014 22:09
    I'm in California, so I've done LA a few times. I have never worked with a tour group, but I know there are tour companies that do student tours. There is a lot to do though from master classes, watching a taping of a television show, seeing a the arête performance and of course the beach.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile