Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Understudy performance?

Posted 09-14-2014 21:19
    I'd love to know if any of you do a special dress rehearsal for the understudies that their parents and family can attend or if you have any other method of giving the understudies a chance to perform.

If not, why do you think it's inadvisable to do so?

-------------------------------------------
    Tisha Donnelly
    Vallejo CA

• 2.  RE: Understudy performance?

Posted 09-15-2014 07:14
    For our big musical we usually employ understudies for the leads.  Generally we give Saturday afternoon to the understudies (we do three performances, so the primary cast gets Friday and Saturday night).

We also frequently fold the actors playing the leads into the chorus on their "off" performances, which, I must say is fun for the kids, but creates logistical problems in rehearsals.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 3.  RE: Understudy performance?

Posted 09-15-2014 10:40
    I don't use understudies. I use swings and give the kids one performance (we usually do 4-5 each show) and they are allowed to choose the part they want to perform.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Understudy performance?

Posted 09-16-2014 12:41
    We do an Understudy Showcase the afternoon prior to the final performance (usually at 4 PM - followed by a cast dinner/celebration and then the show at 7:30). The understudies get to perform one song/scene of their character - they choose.  It ends up being a shortened version of the full show - depending on how many roles actually have understudies.  I also have two seniors serve as the Showcase Directors, which gives them a leadership opportunity as well as directing experience. The Showcase is open to anyone and is free to attend.  The cast (everyone who is not an understudy) sits in the audience and are usually the most adoring fans. It's a great experience for the understudies (who are typically younger students). 

Christina Kemmerer
    Brooklandville MD