Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Substitute teacher plans

Posted 09-13-2014 19:24
    Hi, I have to be gone for about 5 days total this semester, which is luckily very unusual for me.  I just wanted to ask the list if anyone has any super creative substitute teacher ideas for subs who are not drama teachers.  I can always say "work on your scenes," but in an 80 minute period, I think they get a bit off task if I'm not there.  Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Kathleen Herb-Baker
    San Diego CA

• 2.  RE: Substitute teacher plans

Posted 09-14-2014 09:20

I was out for a full week last year and had a similar challenge.  The class was working on monologues from published plays (not film or television) at that point in the year so
    I asked the sub to give them 15-20 minutes at the start of each class to work independently on text analysis and memorization.  (Our average class length is 60 minutes.) Then, each day, they were given a different in-class assignment pertaining to their monologue.  I'm at a private school where all the students have iPads and phones are allowed in classrooms if they are being used to search on-line - but you can adapt things depending on the level of technology available at your school.  We also have an emphasis on writing across the curriculum, and all of my students keep journals, so I included some  written elements as well.  Below is the week of assignments:

1) Split up into pairs and read your monologues to each other.  Compare the language in the speeches and discuss how that language helps to define and differentiate your individual character.  What word choices did the playwright make and how do those words reveal your character.  Share your thoughts about your character's objectives, actions and beats and how they are revealed through the language given to them by the playwright.   Then, read the monologues aloud to each other again - and feel free to make suggestions and coach each other.

2)  Choose one element of the speech (time period, setting, theme) and research that aspect of the play on line.  

3)  Search on-line for a piece of music that would be the title theme for a film biography of your character.  The, while listening to it, write a complete history of your character in your journal.  Be sure to include information about their family, education, relationships, and specific experiences from their past.

4)  In your journal, write a letter from your character, to one of the other characters in the play, that reveals a secret about them.  It can be something that the playwright has already set out in the text, or something that you have created as part of your backstory.

5)  Design the costume for your character.  What are they wearing and why?  Create a complete look, including details about fabric, texture, color, accessories, shoes and hair/make-up.  You can sketch your design, if desired, or create a "research" portfolio for the design using images found in an on-line search.  Then, write about the choices you made in your journal. 

This worked well for me.  The activities gave the sub something concrete to work with and also expanded the students' prep for their monologue performances.  Most of all, it didn't feel like busy work.

Hope you find it useful.

Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 3.  RE: Substitute teacher plans

Posted 09-14-2014 16:01
    Kathleen, if substitute teachers could do as well with our classes as we can, we would all be out of our jobs.

If you want the students to rehearse for a single day that you will be out, you can create a Peer Feedback form and require that each duo or group watch two (or three, depending on the length of the scenes) other duos or groups and provide written feedback via the form, as well as be watched by the same number of groups.  That gives them some accountability.

If I am going to be out for more than a day, I have the students, no matter the level, watch a film.  I leave a guided viewing sheet for them to complete, or I tell them that there will be a quiz when I get back.  There are so many good filmed versions of plays, and if I can find one that has something to do with what we are currently studying, all the better.  I always assign two students per class to assist the substitute in setting up the DVD player and data projector.    

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 4.  RE: Substitute teacher plans

Posted 09-15-2014 09:23
    I was out last year for two conferences and had to deal with this problem as well.  With seven different preps, it's a bit daunting to prep sub plans for so long.

Class always starts on stage in a circle for warm-ups.  I let the sub know that s/he should call role as students begin to warm-up.  Then I assign a different leader for each day I'm gone to work vocal, physical, and focus warm-ups with the group. 

Depending on where we were in class, students then had 30 minutes of rehearsal time and different assignments each day to help them get ready for performances when I returned.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR