Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-13-2014 09:44
    Hi, Has anyone done this show with middle and high school? I'm new to the school and state and am looking into possible show ideas. The school community is conservative. I'm still learning the ropes and meeting the students and families. I'm wondering about the feedback from students, HS, and the pros or cons about your experiences. From what I understand a good cast size here has been about 30 but fewer in years past. I definitely want to build the program. Thanks so much! ------------------------------------------- Colleen McEvoy Theatre Director Tampa FL -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-13-2014 17:11
    I have produced and directed Mattress many times with high school and middle school kids - mixed and separately. It's a great show and works well for building your program. If your community is ultra-conservative, Larkin and Harry having to get married (which drives the entire plot because everyone has to get married and can't), could be an issue. You don't need to cut anything, just either play up the comedy (Harry's reaction when Larkin tells him) or play down the comedy and move on.... Either way works. The underlying desperation can simply become the evilness of the Queen not allowing anyone to get married until Dauntless does.

Good Luck

-------------------------------------------
    Ron Wells

• 3.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-14-2014 12:28
    I directed Once Upon a Mattress Jr. last year for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders.  Rogers and Hammerstein's Library has the rights to this show and it is called Getting2Know, Once Upon a Mattress.  It does not have the pregnancy in the show or any of the other sexual iinnuendos and works well for a conservative community.  I highly recommend it.
    Debby Shellard

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 4.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-15-2014 00:25
    See:
    www.theatreface.com/profiles/blogs/hard-floors-vs-hard-heads

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-15-2014 10:32
    Although my school's "parent base" is varied, we do have a sizeable and vocal conservative element, and that has influenced some of our choices to produce (or not to produce) certain shows over the years.  We've done Mattress three times in the last thirty years, and we've never had a complaint that I've heard of.

Funny story, though.  The first time we did the show - in 1986-'87 - my troupe co-sponsor and I went to our principal at the beginning of the school year to tell her that that year's school musical would be Once Upon a Mattress.  The principal looked at us in silence for several moments, then said, "But of course you're going to change the title."  (We did explain to her how copyright law would prohibit such an action.  The show went off just fine to packed houses, original title and all.)

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL

• 6.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-16-2014 08:36
    I directed the show in California to High School students my first year there. It was well received, but because of the small stage I had to be really creative with the set design. I was able to get most of the costumes from a theater communal costume shop. The orchestration is challenging for high school students, 
    If you can find the bed, then you are almost done. There was a bed constructed already in the East Bay, and had parents drive it over the bridge.
    The musical revolves around the princess, and if she is strong, she can carry the show.

Christopher Craig
    Teacher
    Alamo Middle School
    Midland TX

• 7.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-17-2014 07:10
    I did it three years ago and it is a really fun show.  I ended up re purposing the giant hairspray can from Hairspray, turning it into a castle tower.  The father of the girl playing Fred asked to build the bed to make sure his daughter would be safe.  He ended up building it on a 10' x 8' rolling platform.  The bed was 8' tall and 4'wide.  We then painted 20 mattresses on  tyvek, filled it with rolled newspapers, and stapled the whole thing up.  On the opposite side of the platform was the throne room set.  

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 8.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-18-2014 12:07
    Thank you everyone for responding.  I feel extra pressure this year to pick the "right" or good one.  I'm intrigued with Mattress and hope it would be well received by the HS.  

Colleen McEvoy
    Theatre Director
    Tampa FL

• 9.  RE: Once upon a mattress

Posted 09-17-2014 07:45
    We did the show two years ago and had a great experience.  I also teach in a very conservative community.  We advertised the play as being the musical adaptation of the Princess and the Pea and Carol Burnett's first Broadway production.  Did not have a single problem with "negative feedback".  

We have a huge stage and built a monster of a set for the show (much of which was carved from styrofoam) but you can get by with much less.  We also built all the costumes from scratch and have them in our costume stock if that could help you give your program kick it needs.  We also have some of the props from the show lingering in the store room.  (There are pics of the show on my facebook page in the albums section).  

Let me know if I can help you in any way.  479-430-4878  (cell)

Terry McGonigle
    Alma AR