Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Thespian points.

Posted 09-13-2014 08:52
    I recently switched schools. My new school counts thespian points differently than what I am used to. How do you feel about counting points for shows outside of school and those produced for or by a class. How do you interpret the guidelines? I will offer several scenarios: Working with another school, such as attending closing night and jumping to help with strike. Taking a class offered by a local theatre company which includes or is centered around a production. The student has essentially paid to be in a show, but it is an educational academy or the educational branch of a major company. Internships at local theaters. Paid and volunteer. Volunteering at local theaters. One of your classes performs one acts. Performing monologues at events. I know what guidelines I have typically used for each of these scenarios, but this is what is up for debate so, without saying where I stand on these, where do you stand? ------------------------------------------- Scott Hasbrouck Wheat Ridge CO -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-14-2014 11:39
    I say if the activity is supporting "high school theatre" it counts. If not, then no.  The only exception is seeing a show, but those points only apply after induction. It's far too easy for students to rack points outside of a high school drama program. My students are consistently being "lured away" from my program to a community theatre in the next town. I do everything I can to keep students involved at my school.

-------------------------------------------
    Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Phoenix High School

• 3.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-15-2014 13:46
    I agree that Thespian Points should be given out to students who help out the troupe, or possibly other troupes in the area.  I don't think it is a good idea to give points to my students for work outside of the high school milieu.

James Auld
    Technical Director
    Las Virgenes Unified School District
    Agoura Hills CA

• 4.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-14-2014 14:16
    I have always allowed students to earn half of their induction points from programs outside of school.  I found that by inducting them they grew in interest for our program.  Then as long as they stay active in our troupe outside activities can be used for points to Honor Thespian.  I would say that I probably was not as generous with point values for outside of school things.  

Aileen Zeigler
    Omaha NE

• 5.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-15-2014 10:20
    I allow half credit for out-of-school productions when my students act in or tech a show, whether it is for a community theatre, college theatre, or touring children's theatre machine that charges for participation. I feel that this encourages them to be active, but also rewards them for staying involved in home projects. In-class work gets points if it is designed for a public performance, but I don't award points for every monologue and scene that we do in class for study; they would be international Thespians in nothing flat at that rate. As for the example of a student who jumps in to help strike, that was nice of him. I would count that toward my two hours of monthly community service that I require of all my Thespians, but I would not award points for it. The important thing is to create a system that works for your community and that doesn't leave you feeling like you have cheapened the points system. 

Scott Walker
    Milwaukie OR

• 6.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-14-2014 16:19
    I encourage my students to participate in other productions outside of our school's own shows.  There are several small theaters in the area (community, church, feeder schools, etc.) and my kids learn so much when they can apply the skills we learn in my classes to these other productions.  Besides, such outreach only strengthens support for my own program.

I award points for such work based on the ITS guidelines of 1point = 10 hours of work.  I require that a parent or adult associated with the show sign off that the student actually did the work (usher, tech crew, etc.).

If they attend plays outside of our school, I give them 1/2 a point on the requirement that they must present a short review/essay based on their experience.

Hope this helps.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head
    Chattanooga TN

• 7.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-14-2014 16:47
    I would not generally award points for any of the circumstances you provide. I used to award points (at a lower rate) for work on shows outside of school but noticed that the guidelines had changed and I no longer do so.

My sense is that you are the new sheriff in town and you can award points how you see fit. You might take heat from students for the first year but it will all come out in the wash.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 8.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-14-2014 18:45
    I've always felt that how students earn points should ultimately be at the discretion of the troupe director, following the guideline that each point earned is equal to approximately ten hours of excellent work in the theatre. I know students can earn at least a point for attending a festival, but I have never awarded points for seeing a show. I try to follow the idea of the time spent working and learning equaling the number of points earned. ------------------------------------------- James Smith Illinois Chapter Director Ridgewood High School -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Thespian points.

Posted 09-15-2014 09:20
    I specifically don't award points for one acts done as part of our class work.  The society is about involvement with theatre outside of normal class work.  If I rewarded points for one acts, people who never worked in a play outside of class could be inducted.  I don't think that works.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Woodburn Arts and Communications Academy
    Canby OR