Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Where To Go After College?

Posted 09-08-2014 11:56
    Hello! I'm a current junior at Marshall University and graduation is in the near future. I've been thinking a lot about where to go next in my life and I'd thought this would be the best place to ask! Where do I go from college? Should I consider grad school? Where should I move to? What are some good factors to look into as I search for a new area to set my roots into? I'm an actor with a passion for Theatre for Youth. So where should I go? I'm looking into Portland, Oregon, Cincinnati, Ohio & Seattle, Washington as my top 3, but I know there are so many other places that I'm not even aware of! I'd love to get some input, please! Thank you!

-------------------------------------------
    Grae Greer
    Marshall University
    Huntington WV

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Where To Go After College?

Posted 09-09-2014 09:47

Have you heard of Missoula Children's Theater? My first professional job after college was touring with them. Take a look at their website http://mctinc.org

It's an amazing job and opens a lot of doors for future opportunities. There is a big network of TADs (Tour Actor/Directors) out there. 

As far as grad school goes I only recommend it if you know exactly what you want to study and why. It's expensive, time consuming and only useful if you have an end goal. Personally during my year on the road with MCT I was able to figure out what I wanted to do and I went to grad school when I was finished with my tour. 

I also worked for Seattle Children's Theater. They have a great education intern program. I suggest looking at that as well. 

The UPTA's are a great audition to go to where you can audition for many companies at once. 

Good luck!

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA