Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Mother Hicks

Posted 09-05-2014 09:10
    Hello Everyone!

I am directing Suzan Zeder's Mother Hicks this fall with my middle schoolers.  The play calls for a Deaf actor to play "Tuc", one of the lead roles. I am wondering what resources anyone who has done this play have employed in order to A) Cast the actor, and B) Educate the middle schoolers on communicating/working with a person who is Deaf.  

Any hints, ideas, direction, or guidance would be welcomed.  

Also, for the record, we are STILL looking for a Deaf actor.  So, if anyone knows anyone in the SE Pennsylvania area willing to take on the role, I'd be grateful!

Thanks so much!

JB

-------------------------------------------
    Jarad Benn
    Theater Teacher, Center for Performing and Fine Arts
    Pa Leadership Charter School
    West Chester PA

• 2.  RE: Mother Hicks

Posted 09-05-2014 11:47

I have done the show for High School students  and I've been in the show, but haven't worked with it at the Middle School level.  We were not able to cast a deaf actor, so both times our Tuc had to lean the ASL needed (as well as Mother Hicks). We reached out to the deaf community to find an ASL translator and I had a very dedicated and super-bright kid playing Tuc, and he learned all of the signing working with her.  You might also check to see if there is anything on line that might help.  Good luck!
    Sheryl Goodspeed
    Theatre Teacher
    Palos Verdes CA