Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Creative set solutions

Posted 08-30-2014 18:07
    This year, I have to share the auditorium daily with a dance class. Which means I cannot have sets that stay in place. I need one that can easily be rolled on and off stage each night after rehearsal as the dance classes will be back in there for 6 periods the following day. I am doing Peter Pan this fall and am looking for something convertible that can go from bedroom with three beds and window to pirate ship and back. I'd like there to be like panels the lift up and lock in place and parts the swing in hinges open and closed. And can lock into place. My problem is I am not terribly good with engineering. Wondered if anyone had something that they used that worked for them. I will have to be equally creative with the spring show, Twelfth Night. ------------------------------------------- Randi Lundgren Tallahassee FL -------------------------------------------

• 2.  convertible sets

Posted 09-01-2014 15:00
    This year I have to share the auditorium with a dance class. This means I cannot build a set that stays up. It must be able to be moved easily on and off set for the school day for the dance classes and fit into the wing space which is limited. So I need sets that fold up and out and lock into place. I am doing Peter Pan in November and need a convertible set that can transform into the bedroom, Hook's ship, and the Lost Boys cave/forest. Does anyone have any ideas for a way to do that? Anything you have done in the past? ------------------------------------------- Randi Lundgren Tallahassee FL -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: convertible sets

Posted 09-02-2014 15:32

Wow! It can be a struggle to share a space with another class, especially for set purposes.

Random ideas, but wanted to get the discussion going, and not sure how to describe it without sounding daft, but what comes to my mind is a revolve. Not necessarily a revolving floor, either. You can go for the unit set, where you have triangular columns with the three different sets in mind on the three different sides, and have those on wheels so they can be easily carted off stage to the side, out of the way of the dance class. Alternatively, you could connect several panels together that could form three different scenes, and you rotate the whole collection of panels/flats at the same time to shift the scene to where you desired, just not on a circular revolve. It could be made to be stored flat, then reassembled for rehearsal...sounds like a bear, but could work...

!!!
    -------------------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL

• 4.  RE: convertible sets

Posted 09-07-2014 20:35
    Do you have any flyspace?  That's my first thought, fly things in and out.  You could also go a bit more minimalist, and just use beds for the bedroom instead of a full on bedroom set.  The beds could easily be moved on and off.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 5.  RE: convertible sets

Posted 09-09-2014 01:22
    We also share our stage with dance classes.  It has often been a challenge.  I have use periaktoi to some success.  Last year for Shrek I used small wagons with PVC pipe configured a bit like a costume rack.  We literally put something I found at the hardware store like hooks (a surprisingly hard find) on the backs of two-dimensional flats painted like the various scenes.  Most of the exchanges of scenery took place in the wings by the crew and then were rolled on by ensemble members.  It was a real choreography effort by the stage management team.  Several of our unit sets have had to have been made in pieces so they could be rolled/pushed into the wings or to the back wall after every performance and rehearsal.

Helen Dixon
    Oakley CA

• 6.  RE: convertible sets

Posted 09-11-2014 00:19
    I don't have a stage, but one is constructed about 12 days before my show. That means I'm not able to build my set until 10 days before a show, thus have to be very creative! I've done a lot with hinged sets that open up and rotate. You potentially have four scenes with one set piece.

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV