Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-24-2013 17:10
    Hi All! 

I had a guy contact me via twitter about ideas for bring a troupe closer together. He said he was the president of his troupe and he was looking for some new and exciting ways to bring the troupe together. I shared some with him (see below if interested) but I was wondering if anyone else had activities that they had seen be particularly successful for bringing together a group! If you have an additional ideas, please share! Thank you so much! 

Here is what I sent him in case you are interested!

In my troupe, we go out to dinner and then go see other school's shows in our area. Not only does this create a great relationship between the troupes, but it also gives us a chance to bond and hang out. 

I would also suggest picking a community service project. It does not matter if you are raising money to send one of your troupe members to festival, fundraising for Broadway Cares, or doing a blood drive, it seems like when people are working towards a bigger cause, they always become closer much faster. 

I am not sure how your troupe meetings are run, but I have also noticed if you play games at meetings, such as different improv games, sometimes that can make meeting time fun and exciting, which gives everyone a chance to have a laugh together. 

Something else we recently did was got a giant twister board and took it out on the school's back lawn. We invited the whole troupe and anyone interested in joining and it was fun for everyone. 

Another thing that I have seen be very successful is a program we refer to as FOP (freshmen outreach program.) When you ask someone if they want to "FOP" the name alone has people interested. The premises of the program is that each upperclassmen gets a freshmen buddy that they are responsible for mentoring and bringing them into the program. For the upperclassmen, it always brings out their favorite memories and brings them together as a class. It also closes the age gap in the troupe though, when freshmen and seniors/ juniors are close. We give our FOP buddies small dollar tree gifts throughout the year, try to hang out with them, and help them in whatever way we can! 

-------------------------------------------
    Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 2.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-24-2013 19:34
    My troupe loves bowling, we try to go at least once a month, it's a fun time to just relax from the stresses of school and shows.

Something that another club at my school does is they travel downtown, go out to eat, and watch the Holiday lights. Or (if funding permits) they travel to an amusement park for a day.

The important part is that whatever activity you are doing, be it fundraising or bowling, you are doing it as a troupe. It can be as simple as movie night to extravagant as a Kansas City bus ride.

Alexander Minton
    Nebraska Thespian State Board Member

• 3.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-25-2013 09:27
    Crazy but fun idea for bonding: Gutter Sundae
    It is fairly inexpensive to do and a lot of fun. It is my troupe's traditional first meeting of the year and can accommodate up to 70 people. Purchase a new, plastic gutter from a home improvement store. (Sometimes they will donate if you will put a picture in the local paper and mention their donation!) We generally buy a 10 or 12 foot section and put end caps on it. Clean it well. (I get a new one every year.)  Then you need 7-8 gallons of vanilla ice cream and a boat load of toppings. (WalMart has those huge gallon buckets of ice cream fairly cheap.) If you have a smaller group, buy a smaller gutter. Cover lunchroom tables in black plastic garbage bags. Fill the gutter with ice cream, put the toppings on a rolling cart, get your spoons and soft drinks ready. Each person stakes out a section of the gutter, loads it up with toppings, and digs in!  (I reserve some of the soft drink cups for ice cream for those people who may be feeling not so great or who may not love the idea of that much closeness.)  Take lots of pictures! It's a great way for people to bond!

Kimberly Staples
    Theatre Director
    Buford City Schools

• 4.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-25-2013 09:30
    Our Troupe's student board plans a social event at least once a month where everyone is invited, and we continue this through the summer, and non board members usually do the hosting to spread out the responsibility. Some months end up being busier than others, and some of the stuff happening in October includes a pool party, a movie night, and troupe trick or treating (this has become a tradition). We try to keep these events free or low cost and they are purely social. In addition we also have a bigs and littles program in our troupe. Experienced students get to mentor new students through the year, and take extra time out to help explain what we do and how we do it not only to the little, but also to their parents, who are often overwhelmed when their child first gets involved. Bigs go through training before school starts to get them prepared to assist new students. Then Bigs make cards, get small trinkets, take their littles out on "dates" and check in throughout the year to assist their littles with finding tutors, fundraising, getting rides to and from rehearsals and work days, or other help as needed, and on trips bigs and littles room together. This cuts down on new students asking the adults for everything they need, and gives experienced students opportunities in leadership. We have a HUGE troupe and this keeps people from being lost in the shuffle too. ------------------------------------------- Kathleen McNulty teacher/director Arnold High School -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-25-2013 16:35
    These are all wonderful! Thank you so much, I will be sure to pass them along!! 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair

• 6.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-26-2013 02:54
    In Nevada we have implemented buddy troupes and adopt a troupe who's not an active thespian troupe. At our leadership conference we picked buddy troupes randomly and planned an activity with our buddy. My students also have hooked up with two neighboring schools to do socials together as well as make plans to go to each others show. It's really helped our troupe bond to reach out to another ohigh school and support them ------------------------------------------- Sharon Chadwick -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-27-2013 18:02
    My best idea for Troupe Bonding is the lock in we have every year about half way through rehearsals. 

We used to do overnight lock ins, but they were banned by administrators due to a few bad choices by some couples in the show.

Now...we spend a solid 8 hours together on a Saturday...and start the morning with breakfast....then do dodgeball or softball tournaments....then we do improvisation games and games like sardines (if you don't know it....pm me....the kids LOVE this...but I have no idea why.)

Around noon we break for lunch...usually provided by a parent.  Then we head into the theatre and watch a movie version of whatever show we are producing.  Finally we do the first costume parade and do the first rehearsal off script with tech.

It's quite an exhausting day...but a good bonder.

Anna Michaelson
    Teacher/Director
    Dakota Valley High School

• 8.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-28-2013 12:00
    All of our sports teams have team dinners or pasta nights so a few years ago I set up a team dinner for my fall play cast and crew. My husband and I live close enough to the school that we bring everything from home and don't have to pay for food service staff or cafeteria fees. The students get a home cooked meal. We also do social events such as seeing shows at neighboring high schools, carry in meals, TOTS-EAT and trips to our state events. In the past we also held a monthly Improv Night similar to Whose line is it Anyway? No competition, no fees, just fun and games. ------------------------------------------- Irene Imboden Teacher/ Drama Director Troy City Schools -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-28-2013 12:59
    Do you have to "eat" the cost of the dinner supplies?  Have you thought of getting a local service group (ie: Rotarians, etc) to donate the dinner?  Our local volunteer fire department not only donates supplies for such a dinner, but their firemen cook and serve it.  Just a thought!

Anna Michaelson
    Teacher/Director
    Dakota Valley High School

• 10.  RE:Ideas for Troupe Bonding

Posted 09-28-2013 13:42
    Our district has a strict policy which doesn't allow school groups to solicit donations of any kind, so unless one miraculously steps forward, I can't ask. My husband and I do it because we want to and because we can. :) ------------------------------------------- Irene Imboden Teacher/ Drama Director Troy City Schools -------------------------------------------