Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Viewpoints

Posted 08-27-2014 19:42
    Hey,

Is anyone incorporating Viewpoints techniques in their classroom? Does anyone know of a studio or teacher teaching in the Charlotte area?

-------------------------------------------
    Charlene Thomas
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Covenant Day School
    Matthews NC

• 2.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-28-2014 01:09
    I use Viewpoints at the beginning of the year with my Intermediate Acting students. I've attached a couple of files I think will be useful as you shape your own unit.

I do not know of anyone in the Charlotte area, but perhaps if you contact Richard Hess, he might be able to direct you to someone nearby. His handout is the pdf and he has presented at EdTA Conf. several times.

I wish you great success with it! I love it!

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Attachment(s)

docx
    Viewpoints Unit.docx   134 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-29-2014 06:57
    I did a workshop in grad school, bought the book, and plan to use it this year. The Book really walks you through it step by step. ------------------------------------------- Victoria Kesling Councill Theatre Teacher New Kent County Public Schools New Kent VA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-29-2014 07:45
    I always teach it as the last unit in my acting class. I use the book by Anne Bogart but I have also created a 3-day lesson sequence for it. If you would like me to send it to you, please contact me. :) My high schoolers love it and wait all year for it! I even do a two day workshop with my actors before even having a read-through for a show I am directing at the time. 

Kala Cookendorfer
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Morehead KY

• 5.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-29-2014 09:24
    Hi,
    What a great lesson, thanks for sharing! Has anyone tried this with Middle School actors? Would it work? What changes or alterations should I make?

Patrice Phillips
    Teacher
    Liberty Eylau Independent School District
    Texarkana TX

• 6.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-30-2014 09:03
    Thank you for sharing your lessons on Viewpoints!  I have one lesson and I have taken a weekend workshop for myself and liked it a lot so it has been easy to teach students over the past few years.  Viewpoints is a great way to get middle school students up and moving.

Im so glad now to have more lessons on Viewpoints and will definitely use these lessons this year.  

Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York City Department of Education
    New York NY

• 7.  RE: Viewpoints

Posted 08-31-2014 06:32
    Hello again Jo,

I posted before and I am very glad to have your plan because I did a lot of Suzuki in college and enjoyed learning about Viewpoints for that reason.  I will definitely use your unit.

Another teacher here posted and asked about working on these plans for their middle school students.  Because your plans are intended for 11th grade and im also working with middle school students I wanted to respond with a little more thought about how im going to use these plans.

Because im working with middle school students and its been several years since I did Suzuki work I am thinking about adapting Day 7 with the walks.  I may teach one walk.  

Just a thought.  

Carrie 

Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York City Department of Education
    New York NY

• 8.  RE:Viewpoints

Posted 09-02-2014 01:11
    Hello, I am glad you can use what I have. Both the unit and Viewpoints notes are someone else's work compiled; I am merely passing them along. :) Their names should be on both documents. I want to give credit where it's properly due. That said, I would encourage you to adapt as you see fit. I was taught by my mentor teacher (Karen Kay Husted--she's amazing!) that every quality theatre education lesson should be able to work K to the grave. All you should need to do it adapt for the age. I have found that to be true in so many ways. I think adapting Day 7 with walks makes sense. Probably the amount of time you spend on each Viewpoint might be shorter. Perhaps you will do a different kind of open session. You are the expert. You know what will work best for your students. Best of luck and let me know how it goes! Jo

Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 9.  Viewpoints Lesson Plans

Posted 09-02-2014 14:52
    Here is the 3-day lesson plan I have designed for Viewpoints. Keep in mind this was for my KTIp certification and I have changed a few things to the lessons since then. I also spend more than 3 days teaching this, but here's what I have :) 

Kala Cookendorfer
    Speech and Drama Teacher
    Morehead KY