Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-26-2014 06:55
    I'm thinking about doing The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds this year as I've got some really good girls in my acting troupe. My one concern is the two level set.  We don't have lots of funding so building could break our budget.  Any suggestions? Also, if you've done it, what difficulties did you encounter during the rehearsal period?
    -------------------------------------------
    Cindy Henry
    Teacher
    USD 461
    Neodesha KS

• 2.  RE: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-26-2014 11:38
    How limited is your budget? And do you have anything from previous shows that you can repurpose to help defray the costs?

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-27-2014 07:04
    We have several 4x8 platforms of varying heights but nothing taller than two feet. ------------------------------------------- Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE:The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-26-2014 20:12
    I did it with half level for the upstairs, a landing about 3 feet high. it really didn't cost that much to build. To me the hardest part of the show is the burden on Beatrice. She has 80% of the lines and even with a good, hard-working student, it is an extremely challenging role for a high school student. Love the show though.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-27-2014 10:14
    I agree on using the half level. I did something very similiar when we did Diary of Anne Frank and it worked really well. Something else I do is go to the pro area of the local hardware stores and ask if they have any cull wood (or anything else) that they are willing to donate to help sponsor the program. I point out that the students are the ones who are working with the material as they learn to build sets. I'd also check to see if any of the parents in your department can help with the above. I radnomly found out that one of the dad's is a manager for Home Depot and offered to help. I'd also put  something on the back of your program asking for general donations to help defray costs. I can send you an example of what's on the back of mine if you are interested.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-28-2014 06:36
    Shira, I would love to see a copy of what you put in your program. ------------------------------------------- Cindy Henry Teacher USD 461 Neodesha KS -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds

Posted 08-29-2014 13:20
    Hi! There should be some archived photos from ITF 2008. We performed Marigolds in the Kimball that summer. We used a split level set, with the upstairs being about 6' high. The upstairs just went off to an escape. I'll try to dig up what photos we have and send them to you if you'd like. Connie p.s. If You've got 5 strong girls, one that can carry Beatrice, go for it. It was an incredible experience for Our team. ------------------------------------------- Connie Voight Alabama Randolph School Huntsville AL -------------------------------------------