Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-24-2014 19:28
    I would like to require my students to purchase their own make-up kit.  Has anyone done that, and what kit would you recommend?
    Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Sheryl Goodspeed
    Theatre Teacher
    Palos Verdes CA

• 2.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 07:29
    I have been having my students purchase their own Ben Nye Personal Makeup kits for years. If they take care of them, they will last them for many years.

This year I found that Mehron has a kit that is very similar, with a few more items for about the same price, so I will be switching to Mehron's kits this year - http://www.mehron.com/Mini_Pro_Student_Makeup_Kit_p/kmp.htm

Mark Zortman
    PA Chapter Director
    York PA

• 3.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-26-2014 06:39
    We use Mehron kits, too. We discovered a few years ago that Ben Nye had stopped manufacturing their individual kits and were just burnimg off inventory. So their make-up was not fresh. Mehron is a big improvement.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 4.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 09:07
    Hi Sheryl,

I always require them to purchase their own kits.  Pink-eye can spread too quickly with shared makeup.  We use the Ben Nye kits student kits.  Last year they were about $18.00.  They work for the beginning student in a straight play or musical, no real specialty effects.  The more serious students go whole hog and consult with our local costume rental/stage makeup supply store.
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 5.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 12:11
    That is what I have done on the past. It really is the best practice in my opinion. Sharing make up can be a bad idea so having one's own kit is good. I have always used the Ben Nye student kit. It is a box with all the basics. Sponges, brushes, several different bases, shadows, highlights and colour pots. I am not sure of the cost, we always worked with a local distributer who gave us a nice break on multiple kits. ------------------------------------------- Jeremy Riggs Olathe KS -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 12:31

We do require kids to buy the Ben Nye kits. We buy a bunch at the beginning of the year, keep them in a file cabinet until kids buy, and order more as supplies run low. We buy our kits through Chicago Spotlight and sell them at cost. It's the creme personal kit for about $16. If we're doing something requiring brighter colors, kids just hit the makeup aisle at Target for false eyelashes and liner. I do a short tutorial before the first dress and provide a diagram and written instructions.
    Nina Lynn
    Winnetka IL

• 7.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 17:02
    The Individual Kit (for something like $21) from Norcostco has worked a treat for us. Kids can use it for three to four shows. Comes in four to five skin tones. Economical and has most things for basic use.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 8.  RE: Student Make-up Kits

Posted 08-25-2014 21:39
    I love the Mehron kits. They have all the basic necessities and will last the kids their whole high school career and into college.

Kristi Jacobs-Stanley
    New Orleans LA