Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-22-2013 13:06

Hi Everyone,

I am presenting a Master Class on the topic of Spirituality and Theatre Education at the EdTA conference this weekend. It will be very interactive! In this post, I throw out some "food for thought." I look forward to exploring this issue further with antone who's interested at the conference this weekend!

I am captivated by the concept of the spiritual in my work as a high school theatre teacher and often wonder what hinders me from publically recognizing -- with my students, their parents, my administrators and our community -- that the power of theatre education is an inherently spiritual experience.

I have been gathering, over the years, examples of artists who contemplate the nature of the spiritual in their work. For example,

• Rosanne Cash says that writing songs and singing is "really about honoring the source of creativity. I don't know if there's a personal God, but I know there's something bigger than me that is the source of art and music. And to come together with people who also believe that in some form or other - it's sustaining."

• The metaphors that link theatre work to words associated with faith-based contemplation are interesting to collect. A director of the Royal Shakespeare Company recently brought overseas an exact replica of his home theatre's stage when his show performed in New York, explaining that the work "requires congregational, communitarian, deep-thrust spaces that spatially unite actors and audience."

• From an article entitled "Sort of a Salon, Sort of a Church" in the NY Times (9-26-2010), the director of a theatre company called Secret City described an actor who came to the company frustrated because, "Nothing Chris was being cast in was allowing him to say or do what he can here." She commented, "It is like a prayer, to do a performance as yourself."

• The word "spirit" comes from the Latin verb spirare, which means "to breathe." Spirituality requires presence. To be present is to live out the meaning of spirit - to have breath. How often do we teach our actors to breathe in order to release what they are holding inside, to use breath support in order to release their characters and bring them to life?

• I refer to the space in which my students and I rehearse a play as a sanctuary for creativity.

What is sacred about teaching? The search for connections, relationships among various content, and deeper understandings is what we teachers strive for our students to achieve. But at what points does a school institution's power interfere with approaches to teaching that help students connect what they are learning to their lived experiences? If our students come to us breaking or broken, can a compartmentalized educational structure help to heal them?

A spiritual theatre teacher is one who creates community in his/her classroom or rehearsal. In community, students gain a greater consciousness of the world beyond themselves and create a connection between themselves and others. Rather than feeling autonomous, they become part of a collective. Theatre education might be considered a spiritual experience, because -- rooted by ensemble - students engaged in the process of "putting on a play" discover that their individual spirits and power of self is in the service of collective empowerment.

When we reflect critically on our work, the disparate threads of our work come into a whole. Living with wholeness empowers us to understand how our lives and the lives of our students are directly connected and mutually influential. This perception supports us our individual programs and school districts face challenges and change. Critical reflection can nurture a spiritual purpose that sustains us.

-------------------------------------------
    Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools

• 2.  RE:Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-23-2013 08:46
    Theatre education, indeed education in general within the entire school community, can be/should be transcendent.  Whether it is as simple as celebrating an athletic win or as complicated as the game itself, visibly supporting and respecting all of our students and everything comprising them helps in creating that respectful, safe, sacred environment. 
    Theatre education is a part of that community.   I have seen too many theatre teachers who are an island unto themselves and not "live with wholeness." (Neither within themselves and their program nor within their school.)  A "lone wolf" may help a lucky few find a community, but we must remember we are also part of a larger one.  It is hard to find one's center and the spirituality of theatre education if one always feels on the defensive and alone.
    Theatre and the arts can be soul-satisfying, a connection to a greater whole.  It is as if our theatre community finds the spirituality within and has the responsibility to share it with the school at large.
    What a fascinating discussion!   

William Myatt

• 3.  RE:Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-23-2013 09:55

Ed Grooms
    Fine Arts Coordinator
    Webster Groves School District

When I was picking a play to direct, picking one that spoke to positive side of the human spirit was always a part of the decision.  Educational theatre can and should nurture the human spirit.

• 4.  RE:Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-23-2013 10:17

WHEN IS THIS? I AM INTERESTED!!!

TOM WEISSGERBER
    Thomas Weissgerber
    Theatre Director/ Head of Theatre
    Whitnall High School

• 5.  Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-24-2013 10:14
    The Spirituality and Theatre Education "Master Class" is a double session on Friday afternoon..

Jo Beth

Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools

• 6.  RE:Spirituality and Theatre Education

Posted 09-26-2013 02:48
    I am looking forward to this conversation.  As a teacher at a Jesuit High School, I feel very fortunate to be able to clearly identify and focus on the spiritual nature of theatre.  Thank you for facilitating this session!

Jeff Hall
    Oregon