Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-21-2014 21:08
    In one scene of the show we are doing for One Act competition, there is a sudden puff of smoke that comes from off stage.  First thought was to use a fog machine, but I don't think that will build up enough "smoke" in the short length of time allotted.  Now I am considering using a flash pot, but I am not sure if this would be something I need to use with a high school show.  What are your thoughts?

-------------------------------------------
    Lisa Tierney
    Director
    Coffee High School Theatre Arts
    Broxton GA

• 2.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-22-2014 10:39
    Hi,  First off, you need to find out if you can use a flash pot.  Since the fire in New England a few years back, the fire departments in California made a "No flash pot" Ruling.  I know since I did Fahrenheit 451 two years ago.  
    A fog machine might work, but there is a canister of fog that you can buy for a quick blast of fog.  I think I saw it in Norcostco catalog.  This would be the best to get you the amount you need and its easy to use! 

Dan Blackley
    Lake Forest CA

• 3.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-23-2014 08:28
    Try powder and dirt blower.  Put the pile in front of the blower and turn it on.  that should get you a large amount of smoke.

Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 4.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-25-2014 01:45
    You don't say how big of a puff you need, but pyrotechnics is not the way to do this.  For something small like a pistol shot, a plastic drinking straw filled with baby powder will get you a good look.  A student can blow into the straw and launch the effect (or use a bellows).  For larger plumes, use a larger tube with a larger air source (a paper towel roll tube with straws stacked inside will keep the dust from clumping).  Be cautious of the dust plume as it can create a real mess for someone to clean-up, and you may have a limited time to do so.  Also, be aware of the detrimental effects a cloud of particulates can have on people's breathing - don't let anyone walk into the plume and inhale.

If you use a fog machine to fill a 'buffer' container, then quickly purge the buffer container (think: huge syringe) to can get the volume of fog you want from a small fog machine.
    Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-26-2014 14:19

Of course flames of any kind in a theatre is not good. The only exception I allow is the use of flash paper, but even so I require this be supervised by a theatre technician. I also require that at least one crew person stand by offstage with a fire extinguisher at hand the entire time the open flame is present, and that shall be that person's sole duty at that time.  Also be careful with smoke/fog machines.  Smoke detectors in your theatre may be the kind that measures particles in the air and risk being set off if the smoke level from a fog machine gets too high on stage. Dry ice and ground fog may be safe as they tend to gravitate downwards, but if you chose to use dry ice and/or ground fog, you do so at your show's own peril.  If they set off the fire alarm, your theatre must be completely evacuated (performers, crew, staff and audience), and permission must be given by the Fire Department before anyone can re-enter the building.  In that case, your show will most likely be shut down for the remainder of that performance. (That said, I've never seen that happen.)  I like the baby powder idea - I don't think there is much risk of that with the baby powder as it's likely too heavy to float in the air for long.

Elizabeth Rand
    High School Theatre Consultant
    Rand Consulting and Design
    Woodinville WA

• 6.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-23-2014 09:49

Lisa, 
    In Ga, you will risk disqualification.  Page 108 of the "white book." No Flame, or igniting etc. You can argue semantics but... from past experience ...I would avoid it completely.  If you really want to go to the source, you will want to contact the chairman of the GHSA one act competition Dean Slusser.  If you can't get him Paul Hampton is the head of Ga thespians and really nice and accessible.  He works at Columbus High School.

Isiah Harper
    Fine Arts Department Head
    Columbus GA

• 7.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-24-2014 10:33
    Hi Lisa,

I have use Fog in a Can to create a burst of steam (train coming to rest). It may give you the effect you are looking for. 

http://www.filmtools.com/diffusionincan.html

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 8.  RE: To Flash or Not to Flash

Posted 08-24-2014 14:16
    I would go for the fog in a can route. Even dust or powder blown into the air creates a fire/explosion hazard.

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY