Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Audition Monologues

Posted 08-21-2014 08:06
    I am directing "You Can't Take It With You" in the fall, and I will likely have a LOT of kids come out for the show.  To move the audition process along a little, I plan to play an improv game or two to see how kids work together and then have one monologue for all the girls and one for all the boys.  They will indicate on their audition forms which characters they are interested in, and we'll go from there.  

Two questions:  1.  How do you handle your school play auditions?  and 2.  Does anyone have suggestions for male/female monologues that might work for such an audition?  I was thinking I would avoid content from the actual show because the characters are all so different.  

Thanks for your input!

-------------------------------------------
    Denise Connor
    English/Drama Teacher
    Montoursville PA

• 2.  RE: Audition Monologues

Posted 08-21-2014 19:51
    My auditions are dependent upon the play.
    A classic play needs a classic audition piece.  A modern slapstick comedy needs something modern and comedic.  For you cant take it with you, a classic comedy, I would look at other comedies from the time.

Blithe Spirit, The Man Who Came to Dinner, Our Town, any of the other Hart and Kaufman plays from the time would have monologues in similar tones to what You Can't Take It With You would require.

For the most part my auditions are monologues, usually closed to only myself and stage managers and assistant directors watching.  The call backs everyone is in the room or area to see more about the chemistry.  I usually allow last chance efforts where the kids get the chance to convince me that they deserve a part near the end of the callbacks.

Break a leg
    Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 3.  RE: Audition Monologues

Posted 08-22-2014 11:08
    I audition with a casting panel, we see all the auditions for the fall play in one day (closed audition process) and there are NO call-backs..  I choose monologues - 3-4 each for male and female - hopefully about a minute long.  When choosing I look for mono's that match the tone/style of the play and or aspects of the major characters.  The idea is to get through each audition, see what we need and on to the next as quickly as possible.  In the end, all casting decisions are made by the panel (made up of my staff for the show plus a few of my fellow arts teachers who donate their time), the panel has to reach consensus on every part, and this has pretty much eliminated the need for callbacks, they arguments they have handle exposing all the pro's and con's.  Hope that is helpful.

Jeff

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 4.  RE: Audition Monologues

Posted 08-22-2014 13:06
    Love the previous poster's suggestions, some ideas that I am most likely to steal for myself. :)

Last year was my first year in the role of Theatre Sponsor/Troupe Director etc., so our audition process evolved over the year. And like it has been said, it really does depend on the play. For 'The Wizard of Oz,' it was a closed audition where the performer had to present a song and read a short monologue/text from the play. For 'Black Comedy,' a contemporary (well, 1960s) comedy with a lot of slapstick and exaggeration, each performer came in and worked with a short series of improvised instructions that were pretty physical. For 'Antigone,' all performers had to choose a monologue from a selection I gave them, from the text itself (from which I learned that 'immortality' is a very similar word to 'immorality'; who knew). That was a closed audition.

For 'Oz' there were callbacks, the others there was not, since for them I sat with my other staff (my wife, my assistant, and the stage manager) and we argued out the pros and cons of each one.

What is worth a couple of lines too is the fact that returning student performers don't need to take as long as new performers, which might be something to consider. You already know their reliability (which, at my school, was sometimes more important than initial raw talent), and their basic ability level. Sometimes I even had certain students in mind for certain roles, something which I never tell my students, and that also takes care of things. Just to clarify that one, I'm not the sort of Director who only gives two or three people the main roles every time, and like to rotate my leads so that my students can start to understand the nature of ensemble work.

Hope this helps, and a personal thank you to those who posted before, your suggestions and knowledge was helpful.

Phillip Goodchild
    Valrico FL