Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First day activities

Posted 08-17-2014 23:44

Well, like it or not, school is about to begin again.

I need inspiration to get the year started.

What are some great first day activities you do with your theatre classes? Hoping you have something new that I can try.

-------------------------------------------
    John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 2.  RE: First day activities

Posted 08-18-2014 07:35
    For the second year in a row, our first day is a Friday. I hate it. We do some general introductory stuff but the major things I do are Me in a Bag and a letter from the student to me. I read them my letter first, which tells about my theatrical journey and how I came to be standing in front of them. Then I ask them to write one to me. It's not a graded thing, just something so that I can start to get to know them, their goals, past experiences, etc. It's most important for the new kids, but I like it for the returners as it helps them set some intentions for the year - skills to focus on, that sort of thing. Me in a Bag is something I started when I taught middle school but my high school kids love it too. I give them all a lunch sack and the assignment is to fill it with 5 things that tell us about them. The items MUST fit in the sack, so if they want to tell us how much they love skateboarding, they have to find something that will fit in the sack to represent that. Mon-Wed we do some show and tell with the bags. It's a nice start to being the center of attention and again I start to get some insight into their beginning skill set. ------------------------------------------- Laura Steenson Theatre Director Reynolds High School Troutdale OR -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: First day activities

Posted 08-19-2014 16:33
    I take a game from my ESL teaching class.  It's not original, but it's fun and breaks the ice.
    I have a list of questions entitled Find Someone Who and the kids go around the room finding someone who can say yes to one of the questions on the list.  For example, find someone who is an only child, someone who hates pizza, someone whose favorite movies starts with a W, someone who has been on a swim team; the possible list is endless.  If you have the time, make the number of questions the same as the number of students in the class plus one. They can only use a kid's name once, so they have to break out of their circle of friends, and I let them use my name once too.
    It takes about 10 minutes and everyone winds up talking and laughing.  At the end go over the answers out loud (Susie and Joe both hate pizza!).  Give them 10 breathing points for doing it and everyone is happy.
    Aren't you glad you teach Theater?  Who else gets to do this stuff??
    Katherine Miller
    Theater Teacher
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Herndon VA

• 4.  RE:First day activities

Posted 08-18-2014 07:35
    In my acting class we wrote life monologues and then shared them. Since it's a secondary class, we already know each other we shared experiences from the summer in those monologues! ------------------------------------------- Danysha Lamadieu Covington GA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile