Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-17-2014 16:31
    Looking for good scripts of Alice in Wonderland. By good, I mean a script that doesn't dumb it down or cutesy it up. Looking forward to your suggestions. ------------------------------------------- Bonnie Banks Billings MT -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-18-2014 07:35
    We produced the Tim Kelly version available through Pioneer Drama when I was teaching middle school. I really liked the script. ------------------------------------------- Laura Steenson Theatre Director Reynolds High School Troutdale OR -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-18-2014 08:26
    I spent quite a few dollars and many hours reading numerous Alice adaptations this summer. I came across "Awaiting Wonderland" from Brooklyn Publishers and we are now in production for this show. I has a dark edge and a bit of a twist. You might want to read the preview available online at their website. It stops before the big plot twist is revealed. My kids love the fact that there is more going on than just a retelling of the story. Hope this helps. ------------------------------------------- Laurie Tyson Theatre Director Henry County Board of Education McDonough GA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-18-2014 12:01
    The Manhattan Theatre Project's (under the direction of Andre Gregory, the 'Andre' of 'My Dinner with Andre' by Wallace Shawn) version is THE BEST imho. Did it in high school just after it was premiered in NYC, and have successfully directed it three times myself. There can be some edgy and darker sides to it, so I hope that is what you are looking for. You need a cast that is intelligent and willing to give as much as get from you as a director (e.g. in one production, my Mad Hatter and March Hare were brilliant pianists--so the tea party table became a grand piano which they played throughout the scene). There is a lot of room for adaptation and addition on your part, so it lends itself to suitability. If you choose this version, I'd love to hear how it goes. ------------------------------------------- Lori Constable Teacher; director of Drama Independent District 112 Chanhassen MN -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-18-2014 12:01
    I was looking for the same thing last year and decided to create my own adaptation, using the dialogue from the books. I combined some characters and shuffled things around to create a through line for the story. Since I was using the original dialogue, the language was difficult, but that was the challenge for this piece. It needs to be edited down (my second act was LONG), but I was proud of what I created. Features a lot of opportunities for roles. We had a cast of 20, with some actors doubling. If you are interested in the script, let me know. ------------------------------------------- Michael Klimzak Drama Club Advisor Beach Park IL -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-19-2014 10:24
    I also wrote an adaptation that uses narration activated as dialogue in what we in Seattle call "Book-It" style after the theater company. Think of it as fully produced Reader's Theatre with no narrator, full action, and narration spoken as dialogue. The text only uses Carroll's language. I also split out the Alice character into multiple actors to represent her conflicting motivations. I cast just over 20 with some doubling. It has been produced at a couple of schools in WA and FL. Write me if you're interested. ------------------------------------------- Barb Lachman Drama Director Shoreline WA -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-18-2014 13:53
    Don't forget a lot of publishers have a sample to read online.  Concentrate on the lead part.

-------------------------------------------
    Vicki Bartholomew
    Playwright
    Sherwood OR

• 8.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-19-2014 23:35
      |   view attached
    You can take a look at the script I adapted a couple years ago for a steampunk version (primarily done with costumes, scenery, props, and sound, not the script itself) hence the spelling Alyse instead of Alice. If you want to use it, you have free reign to add or omit as you see fit since the original work is in public domain, and all of the dialogue is the original text. The framing device is the Jabberwocky poem. The first scene was performed in typical Alice in Wonderland garb, but when she falls down the hole, she changed into the steampunk world where all the characters are variations of steampunk characters fitting the original Alice story. The last scene, Alyse is still in her steampunk garb, the sister has elements she's wearing, too, and there is a repeat of the poem with a repeated sound effect. Needless to say, you can do something different as you want; no problem for me. Royalty can be paid to a charity of your choice (recommend BC/EFA). It's been produced at two schools already.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Alyse in Wonderland RHS.pdf   3.36 MB 1 version

• 9.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-21-2014 12:41
    Bonnie, we had the same challenge, finding a suitable script that didn't just re-tell the story, or go the dumbed-down or cutesy routes you mentioned.  My husband, who has worked professionally in educational theatre for over 20 years, adapted both Alice stories and the Jabberwocky poem into an original script for us.  Without being too biased (!!!) I think he did a great job.  Our version focused on the power of words, and has Alice at the beginning as a modern high school student trying to get her mountain of homework done, but being distracted by all the voices in her head (the things others say about her that influence her view of herself).  Her journey into wonderland becomes a journey of self-discovery, where she learns to choose what she will believe about herself as she navigates her way through all the different games being played by the various characters.  The dialogue is very true to the books, but the focus on the power of words really brought it home for my students and our audiences.  If you'd like more information, please contact him at Maley_Paul@yahoo.com.  

Sharon Maley
    Chula Vista CA

• 10.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 08-26-2014 11:17
    Bonnie,

I enjoyed Alice @ Wonderland by Jonathan Yuckich, its through Pioneer Drama.  Its a modern version but has touches of the classic tale.  The Jabberwocky poem is included.
    Brigitte Becker
    Sugar Land TX