Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  3+ Person Scenes

Posted 08-16-2014 10:52
    I own plenty of great books with monologues and two person scenes. Where are teachers finding good 3+ person scenes? I am looking for good books, or even ideas of plays. I am not a fan of the mediocre material available for free on the web, so unless you have really good sites, please limit those kind of posts. Thanks ------------------------------------------- Mark Johnson Theatre Arts Teacher Farmington Hills MI -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: 3+ Person Scenes

Posted 08-19-2014 11:57
    A three person scene I have seen used many times in acting classes would be from David Auburn's play Proof. It is an American contemporary piece centered around the daughter of a mathematical genius and her struggles with following in her father's footsteps. I cannot remember the exact scene, but hopefully this provides a good start.

-------------------------------------------
    Erin Ward
    Educational Theatre Association
    Newport KY

• 3.  RE: 3+ Person Scenes

Posted 08-19-2014 14:17
    There are a number of good scene and short play collections for students available from the Smith and Krause website:

http://smithandkraus.com/sk/catalog/young-actors-grades-7-12/

In particular I have used the collection "103 Scenes for 3 Actors" - they have a several collections of scenes organized by # of actors, which is incredibly useful, and should be encouraged!

More useful to me have been the various 10-Minute play collections - my students really love those, and we usually end our semester with a 10-minute play fest.  Again, the most immediately useful collections are Smith and Krause's series of "30 Ten-Minute Plays" for, respectively, 2; 3; and 4-5-6 actors.  

But it certainly is a pain using all the OTHER collections of scenes & 1-acts!

Stephen Eldredge
    Theater Teacher; Production Manager
    Northampton High School
    Northampton MA

• 4.  RE: 3+ Person Scenes

Posted 08-20-2014 10:01
    The play VANITIES provides many scenes for three women. Also several good three person scenes in DIVINERS. ------------------------------------------- Lana Hagan Department of Theatre/Dance Southern Illinois Univ. Edwardsville/retired Clayton MO -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: 3+ Person Scenes

Posted 08-20-2014 14:07
    I, too, can endorse 103 Scenes for 3 Actors - and the other books in that series (104 Scenes for 4 Actors, etc.) - with the slight caveat that some of the scenes don't involve all three (or four or whatever) characters roughly equally in the action, which I try to require in scene work so there's no complaining to the effect that "I'm having to do a lot more work than so-and-so for the same amount of credit."  If one of the characters only appears in about a third of the scene, for example, I don't really think of it as a three-character scene.  But each of these books has so many scenes that you can work around that.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL