Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-15-2014 07:19
    I'm wondering if anyone has experience or leads on renting one of those snow machines that spits out a harmless mixture of soapy foam you can flurry around the audience? I remember speaking with someone about them and apparently there are two types: expensive and loud and really expensive and quiet. Wondering if anyone has some suggestions? ------------------------------------------- Benjamin Stuart Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher Seattle Public Schools Seattle WA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-16-2014 09:56
    When I did Almost Maine I rented a machine rom Vincent Lighting for the snow which used soap but looked like snow as it fell. (I remember it being around $250/week) It left no residue on the floor (made my custodian staff thrilled). It was on a batten, on the stage. Don't know if there is a similar type of device that would push the snow over the audience Vincent LIghting is located in Solon, OH outside of Cleveland. ------------------------------------------- Gloria McIntyre Rocky River OH -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-16-2014 14:29
    Last year we purchased a couple small snow machines from Froggys Fog, I think they were about $150 each. It sounded like a shop vac came on in the middle of a song! If you are inclined, I believe you could surround it in foam insulation inside a box to muffle it greatly. The foam itself was harmless. We got the extra dry formula and it did not stain fabric or make a slippery mess on stage where the dancers were. ------------------------------------------- Bret Cherland Hemet CA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-17-2014 07:49
    I know you said you were looking to put snow over the audience, but if money and noise becomes an issue-- try the dry potato flakes trick in a muslin sling shaker over your stage. We did that and it was awesome. It's also really inexpensive. Here's a pic. https://www.flickr.com/photos/43682280@N06/8279733316/ ------------------------------------------- Michael Johnson Trinity NC -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-18-2014 12:01
    I do not recommend the potato flakes as if you do not get them all up, they can draw bugs and mice. I recommend fake snow which can be purchased from your theatrical supply house, it is typically paper or plastic finely shredded to look like snow. ------------------------------------------- Jerry Onik V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment Omaha NE -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE:Soapy snow machine

Posted 08-18-2014 13:53
    Thank you all for the suggestions and leads. I am definitely hoping to do the noisy foam over the audience. I'm not too concerned about the sound because it would happy during a swell of music at the end of the show and during curtain call. Send the people out in a festive blizzard so they'll tell their friends to come see it, you know?

Cheers

Ben

-------------------------------------------
    Benjamin Stuart
    Middle School Theatre Arts Teacher
    Seattle Public Schools
    Seattle WA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile