Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Rehearsal schedules

Posted 08-08-2014 21:15
    A friend of mine, who also has a young child, rehearses for a longer stretch of weeks but only until 4. She increases to 5 three weeks before opening, increasing again to 7 two weeks before opening, then finally up to 9 the week before opening. What do you think? Also, how many weeks before opening do you begin rehearsals? How about for a straight play versus a musical? Thanks. ------------------------------------------- Tisha Donnelly Vallejo CA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Rehearsal schedules

Posted 08-09-2014 11:34
    Great question. I decided that I needed one night "off" from rehearsal each week. I have a family and needed a little time away from the plays to help me think clearer. I developed a plan that works well for me and my students. Parents love that their children are home for dinner and homework. I NEVER rehearse on a weekend. That is strictly family time, or meeting time for thespians, but never a rehearsal. I also never rehearse during a vacation week. It requires efficiency and good planning, but the payoff is wonderful. We also build the set during this time. I often rehearse in any place I can find if the stage is being used for set construction needs. This is what works for me. You are welcome to give it a try. Musical: 10 week rehearsal period Weeks 1-8. 4 days a week. 3:00-5:30 p.m. Never on a weekend. Week 9. 5 days a week. 3:00-6:30 p.m. No weekends Week 10. 3 dress rehearsals. 3:00-8:30 p.m. with dinner provided. Non-Musical: 10 week rehearsal period Weeks 1-8. 3 days a week. 3:00-5:30 p.m. No weekends Week 9.3 days a week. 3:00-7:00 p.m. No weekends Week 10. three dress rehearsals. 3:00-8:00 p.m. Dinner provided. ------------------------------------------- John Rutherford Rochester Hills MI -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE:Rehearsal schedules

Posted 08-10-2014 11:15
    My school is out at 2:30 and I have to leave at 3:45 to pick up my kids by 4. I rehearse that way 5 days a week for about 5 weeks for a straight play and then we do 3 days of tech until 7 or 8. For a musical we rehearse about 12 weeks before our 3 tech days, but this year I'm cutting that back. I was worried I wouldn't have time to get things done, but there's just a lot less time wasting when they know I will be leaving at 3:45.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Rehearsal schedules

Posted 08-15-2014 21:15
    I think it's all about what works for you.  We start with shorter rehearsals and work up to longer, as well.  I made a promise to myself and my kids/parents that we wouldn't go past 8 for straight shows or 9 for musicals, and we stick to that.  That doesn't happen until tech week though.

For me, I have no kids and a very understanding husband.  We get out of school at 3:06 and rehearsal generally starts at 3:20.  I usually pick one or two nights to rehearse later than others, then one or two that are shorter.  For instance, we might rehearse until 4:30 on Wed and Fri, Until 5:30 on Mon and Thurs and until 6:30 on Tues.

We do rehearse Saturdays, but I try not to schedule two Saturdays in a row and we usually only have 2 saturday rehearsals before we add tech.
    Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR