Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Facility usage forms

Posted 08-06-2014 10:50
    This message has been cross posted to the following Discussions: EdTA State Chapter Directors and Open Forum .
    -------------------------------------------

Many of us deal with faculty and staff asking to use our theater on the spur of the moment.  They don't understand that lights, sound, av needs, etc don't just happen on their own.  I would like to create and distribute a form that would allow for ample time to set the stage when these needs arise.

Please forward or post if you would be willing to let me use your form as a template.

Mark Saltalamachia
    Teacher
    Williamson County Board of Education
    Christina TN

• 2.  RE: Facility usage forms

Posted 08-08-2014 06:31
      |   view attached
    Okay, I'm trying this again. I tried to post the form we use here earlier today, but posted it to the library instead. Not sure how I managed that! Anyhoo... We have a similar problem and came up with a form a few years ago to try and streamline requests to use the theater space. Our stage is used for dance classes and the entire is used for class and all-school meetings several times a week - in addition to rehearsals for our productions - so it is a bit hectic. This form worked well for us and we have now moved to a computerized version of it that faculty and staff can access and submit through our website. Of course, there are still people who don't submit the form and just expect us to know that they are coming, but nothing's perfect. Hope this is useful! And, hope it works this time!!! ------------------------------------------- Susan Speidel Chairman of the Performing Arts Department Morristown-Beard School Springfield NJ -------------------------------------------

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Facility usage forms

Posted 08-09-2014 14:04
    Our theatre is also my classroom but all building use forms have to go through the Assistant Principal. We work well together and anyone who wants the theatre has to get my approval before it goes to the AP. I'm flexible and they tell me if they need a podium, microphone, etc. The Stagecraft class takes care of the set-up. As always, some teachers don't get approval from me and then there's problems. Or a teacher will check the calendar in the AP's office and see nothing on the calendar and assume it's available, not realizing I don't put every rehearsal on the calendar since we are in rehearsal almost everyday after school. ------------------------------------------- John Perry Drama Instructor Atherton High School Louisville KY -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Facility usage forms

Posted 08-09-2014 14:43
    Quite right, people don't realize they can't just waltz in at 6:30 and have an event/show at 7:00, or waltz in at 10:30 and have a class meeting at 10:45. I created some forms for events and shows (whether they be school, district or outside) to fill out so that they are forced to think about their tech needs. First, no one (not even faculty or staff) uses the theatre without being on the schedule (which is online for everyone to check for availability), then they have to submit a Use Request form to me. On that form, besides all the information about who they are and what and when their event is, is a schedule section that they must fill out, which asks their arrival time, set-up time, tech rehearsal time (if applicable), dinner break (if applicable), final prep of stage time (such as mic checks and shutting the main curtain BEFORE opening the house), house opening time, event time, strike time. As I'm sure you've experienced, most people think they are coming in for an hour and a half and then realize the whole process (even for a simple event or meeting) will take three or four hours. I also have a section where they fill out their technical requirements for lights, sound, a/v, etc. in which I state "please list and quantify - attach additional sheets if needed", which is a joke, because most people fill in "yes". Which is why every event that comes into the theatre, be it a school, district or outside event, from a class presentation to a full musical, has to come in for a Production Meeting with me, so that I can find out their needs (even if it's just 2 mics and the auto production lights) and so that they can be made to realize that the process doesn't happen on its own. Another form I give to people using the theatre is a Running Order form, which helps me know how their event is going to go, but also helps them slow down a bit and think about their event. On this form I ask them to list every single step of their event, for instance, a school pep rally: m/c intro, speech by principal, m/c, video, 2nd speaker, m/c, cheerleading exhibit, student speaks, video, school song, m/c dismissal. Or whatever. I also have columns for lighting, sound, a/v, and other details that need to be thought about for each part of the event. On the form it says "No detail is too detailed." Regardless of what a form looks like, this is the sort of detailed information I've found needs to be included to help me with my planning and make the Muggles think! And guess what, they STILL think we can read their minds, and they STILL think we have some sort of magic wand that will make their event/show happen without any preparation. ------------------------------------------- Elizabeth Rand High School Theatre Consultant Rand Consulting and Design Woodinville WA -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Facility usage forms

Posted 08-24-2014 16:34
      |   view attached
    Here's the Auditorium Usage Form I created for the same problems in my space as you are having, too. I'm still fighting the good fight on usage, but this form has helped both internal and external requests.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director, Roosevelt HS
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Auditorium Usage Form.pdf   105 KB 1 version