Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-05-2014 23:51
    Hi, all.

I am looking into using online ticketing this year. We have general admission seating, and our tickets have been in the $6- $8 range for adults and $4- $5 for students. I'd like to keep them in that range, so I don't want to ramp up the prices too much for online sales. I'm looking for advice/opinions on any online options (showtix, etc.) that you all might use. Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

-------------------------------------------
    Denise Connor
    English/Drama Teacher
    Montoursville PA

• 2.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-06-2014 13:18
    I use seatyourself for most of my shows and the parents find it easy to use with minimal fees for use.  It is endorsed by ITS too!

For my musical and for parents to purchase spirit wear or pay field trip fees etc... I use Arts People.  The reason I use them for my musical is they can choose their exact seats.  My seating for musical varies by sections and I also have a VIP option which I cannot offer with seatyourself.  Arts People is a little more expensive but I need the options.  

Online ticketing has saved me hours of work and made the box office so much easier for the parents since we can use a credit card at the door for purchases too. 

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 3.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-07-2014 19:19
    We use Brown Paper Tickets- and love it. We used to use Vindini (sp.) but fees were much higher. We get an e-mail after every weekend of every show with amount of sales, and check goes directly to our school accountant. I was surprised with our last few productions that we actually made twice as much in on-line sales compared to cash sales. ------------------------------------------- Phillip Rayher Director, Theatre Dept. Ruth Asawa San Francisco School of the Arts San Francisco CA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-06-2014 13:48
    We've used showtix4u for a few years and don't really have any complaints. Granted, as the director of our school musical, I've always pawned off the position of point person on a producer or parent volunteer, but having seen many people occupy that position pretty seamlessly makes me think that there's not too great a learning curve on its use.  One thing I like as the "spender" (in the eyes of our producers, of course) is you get paid in a couple of installments (I THINK you can choose, to some degree when the first installment comes), which is always nice when you find yourself in the throes of set construction and need some funds for materials and voila, there's a check (with the balance coming after close when there a bunch of outstanding bills to be paid out).  This might be common amongst many platforms, but I only have experience with this one.

Ryan Moore
    Ferndale MI

• 5.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-06-2014 17:37
    Brown Paper Tickets is another possible as well: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/services.html <http://www.brownpapertickets.com/services.html> I know productions of some of my plays have used that. Cheers, Jon ------------------------------------------- Jonathan Dorf Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights Los Angeles CA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-06-2014 21:08

I have used Showtix4u for several years for our theater productions and it has worked well for us.  In fact, it has worked so well that we are now expanding our use of it to cover all dance, vocal and instrumental concerts.  It is easy to set-up and their customer support has been great - and very patient with my questions!
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 7.  RE: Online Ticket Sales?

Posted 08-07-2014 10:37
    Been there, done that and willing to share. I found of all the online companies I made out best with booktix.com. Other companies are much bigger, they've been around longer. But, they make you buy $300 of equipment - BookTix gives it away for free (don't like groups that charge start-up costs), and the other companies' fees are just a tad higher. Also, because they are so large - you have to pay for that infrastructure. I can't rave enough about booktix, their amazing support, and the extra money I made didn't hurt either ------------------------------------------- Sandra Van Dyke (just retired from W. Orange HS) -------------------------------------------