Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Parent Boosters

Posted 08-03-2014 10:08
    How do you go about creating a parent booster?  Do you call this booster something special or charge (how much?) parents to be recognized as the boosters in the programs?  I'm looking to get parents more involved and was wondering what other clubs do,  Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Trevor Yarbrough
    Teacher
    Dyer County High School
    Newbern TN

• 2.  RE:Parent Boosters

Posted 08-03-2014 17:17
    I just started a booster club last year. I started by recruiting at Back to School Night and holding a follow-up meeting the next week. It's a bit of a process since you are creating a non-profit organization. The charter members decided on the membership fee, voted on by-laws and the president worked on applying for 501c3 status. I'm glad I did it though, they're very helpful. ------------------------------------------- Heather Brandon Bakersfield CA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Parent Boosters

Posted 08-04-2014 06:41
    I have been teaching drama for over 30 years and have a very strong group of drama boosters that I depend on for a variety of ways to help with the drama program. Here are some suggestions for creating and sustaining boosters that have worked for our school. 1. Know what you need them to do for you and and the program. (We have committees for each class level: drama 1,2,advanced, musical theater, dance production and stagecraft as well as comedysportz) 2. Create committees so that one person does not feel overwhelmed. 3. Be sure one of those committees is in charge of communication--email, volunteer sign ups ( we use signup genuis), phone calling etc... 4. Know your mission - Our mission is to provide support to the drama program through fundraising, audience support, publicity, festival/competitions, technical support--set, costume, props, and community service. 5. All parents are asked to sign up for one area to help with during the year. 6. We run all of our monies through our ASB so that we don't have to set up a 501C. This also means that the drama council (of students) have to attend meetings and are involved in fundraising plans and spending decisions. (It is a school program and students should have a voice). 7. Parent boosters have no voice in play or musical choices. This is done only through the theater, choir, instrumental and dance instructors. 8. Once you have your committees set up and a leader for each committee have meetings only with the leaders and let them communicate with the committee members. 9. Keep meetings at a minimum- respect parent's time...after all you want them to use their time to help with your specific production. 10. Let parent's help. 11. Thank parents often with emails, notes and at the drama banquet. Include a parent appreciation award and be sure to thank your committee heads. Note: I don't have a booster president---by having 5 or 6 committee heads it creates a "board" that is equal. I hope this helps...email me directly if you would like specifics. ------------------------------------------- Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts Mission Viejo, CA -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Parent Boosters

Posted 08-04-2014 14:19
    Our Main Stage shows are run as courses and so we do not do a booster club in the traditional sense.  However; we set a parent / student meeting for all of our tech and performance students for the end of September / start of October right after the cast is selected.  All families are expected to attend.  We announce it in class, on the website, in the course outline and through automated emails / texts.

At that meeting, we review details of the show, introduce the production team, explain our expectations and outline the areas of assistance we would like them to help with.

All families are expected to provide food for Dress Rehearsal / two performance days and some long rehearsal days.  We also ask for technical assistance with set and costuming, transportation, load in and load out crews, sponsorship and other aspects based on the particular show.  Parents and / or staff members act as coordinators for some of these tasks.

The support has been terrific over the years and it has been a huge help in fostering the profile of the drama program and the sense of ensemble because parents are working with their students and the teacher and recognize our inclusive philosophy.

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB