Open Forum

View Only

Understudies

• 1.  Understudies

Posted 08-01-2014 13:01
    How do people handle understudies? I have smaller cast shows, but would like to involve more students in the process and feel like there's a way to train actors. I'm curious how everyone uses them?

-------------------------------------------
    Nathan Emmons
    Theatre Director
    Nipomo CA

• 2.  RE:Understudies

Posted 08-02-2014 08:40
    My school doesn't personally use understandies but a few counties over a couple of schools use understudies as a dual part deal. They get to perform a portion of the run! You'd come to find that the students actually don't mind the compromise and get to have a taste of ensemble parts and bigger roles! ------------------------------------------- Danysha Lamadieu Covington GA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-02-2014 10:26
    Knock wood, I have never lost a main character during a show, and i hope I never will, because I do not use understudies. My feelings on it at this level are, they should have a performance. If a kid puts in that much work, they should get a show to shine. My fall play runs three times, my musical (now) 5. That is not enough I feel to justify taking one performance from the actors playing those parts and giving it to their understudies. It also multiplies my work to get them ready, and I don't have that time. I think if I were to do it, I would use the dual part model - and I would need more performance dates (and I would hope, rehearsal time). Jeff ------------------------------------------- Jeffrey Davis Plainsboro NJ -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-02-2014 12:39
    I lost my Finch during Tech Week. He just quit. It was a learning moment for the rest of the cast because no one was really ready. No one could take over his role and I couldn't bring in a guest (even tho I had several local options) because the show was just not ready. I think part of the reason he quit was due to jealousies among the cast that he got the role and they didn't play nice. After that experience, I swore I would always have understudies. That was about 8 years ago and I haven't cast unders for any show yet. It's hard to find 2 people that are right for every main role. I did split a role before that show - Mushnik. I liked both actors and they both did something different. I thought it would be a great way for them both to shine. We did 9 shows and 2 matinees so there was plenty of stage time (yes I was crazy back then!). They both did a great job, everyone worked really well together and no one complained - during the show. Afterwards, they came to me and were very honest that they didn't like the experience. Both said they would have rather the other person gotten the role rather than split it. I think double casts and understudies work well when the foundation is carefully laid and there is a large enough ensemble to warrant it. But for the smaller program it may cause more problems than it's worth. ------------------------------------------- Amy Learn Ballwin MO -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-03-2014 23:34
    We have had a few issues over the years with academic eligibility or illness (when we did Curtains, two of our primaries had surgery - each had either their appendix or gall bladder removed!) And of course, being teenagers, we've had to recast a few roles because of some bad decisions... For the spring musical, the male & female lead has had an understudy - and they get to perform at a dress rehearsal. That way, their family gets to see them in the role. This past year, our Aida lost her voice so badly, that we actually did switch in the understudy for Act Two during a public performance. For the fall play this past year, we cast 2 understudies - one guy & one gal - in The Foreigner. They never got to go on in any roles, but they attended almost every rehearsal & knew the lines for almost every character as a result. They served as prompters on a regular basis until they were off book. They did have some stage time, but only as Klan members in the final scene - so we never saw their faces. We did split rehearsal time for them - and we did consider a casting change about 4 weeks out from performances. Our "Betty" just wasn't pulling it off as we had hoped, and started to give the U/S more rehearsal time. "Betty" got her act together pretty quickly after realizing that she had a little "competition" for the role. It wasn't something we wanted to do, but it was worth a try, and it worked for us. For us, we like having a "back up" in case of illness or eligibility. And we've needed them from time to time over the years. The kids know that they will be limited, and say yes anyway - they like being a part of the cast, even if it is limited. Their work ethic & cooperation usually ends up to them improving their own abilities which has lead to them getting desired roles in the next production. So it's a bit of a win-win. ------------------------------------------- Melissa Mintzer Willow Street PA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-04-2014 09:53

I work with understudies on every show and it's been one of the best ways to build my program. It's a great way to pull actors in who have auditioned well, but don't have as much experience - or perhaps I've seen a spark, but they're not quite ready to take a lead. After understudying a role, they're typically ready for a lead in the next show. For one act competition shows, I'll simply cast a male swing and a female swing. This past fall, I cast an understudy for every role. This doubled my participation.(see attached photos).

We reserve the Tuesday tech before our final dress as our understudy show. The tech crew gets in a run, family and friends come to enjoy the rehearsal, and my understudies get a performance. They understand I will not have them go on if they're not ready. I only had one show where the understudy wasn't fully prepared, so I had them go in for a song or a scene.

I also do a school day "preview" where our English and music classes come down for a period (we have 68 minute blocks). I do this as an educational event and we do pieces of the shows and explain about the art form, tech theatre, make up, warm ups, and understudies get to perform portions of these as well. It usually gets students to come back to an actual show.

My understudies and leads often develop close friendships and totally support one another. Depending on the show, I have had the lead understudy the understudy - so they can just switch for the tech rehearsal. For example, in Shrek, my Fiona understudy was Gingy/sugarplum fairy - so my Fiona stepped into that role for the rehearsal. In other instances, my principals sit out in the audience close by, so they give support or can give a prompt. Mostly, they just applaud and react as their understudy performs the role.

I have found the understudy night preview/tech is the night where our show really falls into place. And my leads learn so much by watching someone else perform the role and hearing how an audience reacts.

As for rehearsals, I have them step in from time to time, or shadow during a rehearsal, but it's really up to the actor to put the time in to be ready. We do one full rehearsal with understudies right after school on that Tuesday and then they perform that night.

I'd never cast a show without understudies now.

Glenn Morehouse Olson
    Theater Teacher, Director
    St. Francis MN

• 7.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-03-2014 13:34
    After losing leads/principal actors to sickness or even national competitions the night before, I've handled understudies 2 different ways. One was to give leads two performances and understudies one performance. This is my favorite way to run understudies. Often they work jut as hard or harder than the leads. We have to load in to a community theatre and design lights and work sound with their technicians 5 days before showtime, so giving away some of our lead rehearsal time to understudies was a bit stressful. I always tell them that if they are truly ready, I will do it. Most times they are not. The alternative, which has led to a lot less stress, is to guarantee a dress rehearsal for friends and family. We run it just like a show with as few stops as possible, safety being most important, and freeze frame tableaux after major songs or scenes so that parents can take pictures. Students have had a very positive response to this and enjoy getting to "take the stage" without the added pressure of hundreds of people that paid to get in. They know everyone there is there to support and encourage them and they still get the privilege of full costumes, make-up, and stage time. Its a wonderful way to train my up and coming actors that may not quite be ready for the real deal. My past experiences have shown that some of my understudies work extremely hard to do well and my leads would sometimes get lazy. I also am a strong believer that if the understudy starts to exceed the lead, the lead is demoted and the understudy takes the role. My concern was that this would cause excessive competition, but In many instances, the understudy and lead became quite close and many friendships were sparked. The actors knew they had to stay on their toes and two weeks before the show, the final cast list was posted. Most times, actors knew when they struggled or when someone had truly earned the role and although there were tears, it happened in private and not in front of a major audience. You definitely don't want to present an understudy cast and have the audience ask why they weren't your lead cast. It also helped prepare them for the real world where expectations are real and failure means you're fired/replaced. ------------------------------------------- Christine Morgan Theater Arts Teacher Timberlake NC -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-03-2014 16:11
    I assign understudies for all the leads. It keeps the leads are their toes, doing their best and lets them know, "hey, everyone is replaceable." U/S are not required to attend additional rehearsals - we run the show repeatedly so everyone ends up learning other roles anyway. They don't perform their U/S role during any of the actual performances, but they're ready to step in lickety split! ------------------------------------------- Sonja Hansen Producer, Director and Choreographer www.ChoreographyBySonja <http://www.ChoreographyBySonja> Loveland OH -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-04-2014 06:41
    I do not use understudies for my shows. I use swings instead. The swing is able to be in the ensemble while learning the tracks for one or two other characters. They may or may not actually perform in the role. They are often called upon to rehearse for the other part(s). All of the productions at my school are part of a class so the students are graded on their development of character, rehearsal participation (which includes memorization and blocking/dance) and their "generosity" as a cast member. All students in the ensemble then are fully integrated into the process of the production and can help each other out with memorization or dance in the case of a musical. I have had to use the swings in both straight plays and musicals for various reasons including an Emilia who fainted mid-scene in "Othello", Hodel who broke her arm during a performance of "Fiddler on the Roof", and a flu stricken Odysseus in "The Odyssey" for a closing night performance. I find that the students pay attention during the rehearsal process knowing that they need to know the tracks for a variety of characters. ------------------------------------------- Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts Laguna Hills CA -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-04-2014 12:00

I realize that I am in the minority on this issue but here are my thoughts on the casting of a high school show - especially one that is produced through a class.

I believe that for the educational value for students and the strength and long-term viability of the program that, at a minimum, all leads should be understudied and, more ideally, all leads should be double cast.

We are not professional companies selling a product; we are training young people in both theatre and life skills and this is best done in an atmosphere of ensemble.

I also do not agree with the practice of pre-casting leads or of designating seniors as leads.

This does not mean that I have never gone with understudies instead of double casting - you do have to have the strength in numbers to do this. But the strength in numbers comes from giving students opportunity.

Our shows are not second-rate because of our casting practices. Our shows and our program compares very favourably with the best in our province. It can work. But it does require some alteration of practice.

For one, we take three weeks to audition, leading all students through ensemble building work, character study, movement and vocal rehearsals in large and small groups and so on. We work with the students to determine roles; we do not sit in fearful judgement of them. For those of you who attended the annual conference in NYC a few years back and heard Joe Mantello speak on auditioning, consider his comments about ensemble and teamwork in auditioning and in the production process.

We do not cut students from our Main Stage shows. Hence, last year, we had 97 in Les Miserables. The year before we had 63 in the Jungle Book and we will have a similar number this year for A Midsummer Night's Dream. This practice requires the selection of large cast shows each year for our Main Stage production. (Our senior drama class shows do not require this consideration; they are student selected and directed. We have represented our Zone at the Provincial theatre Festival four times in the past five years.)

This practice has resulted in tremendous student and parent support as well as support from the administration. It has allowed special needs students and wheelchair bound students and exchange students to participate.

It does require a very well organized rehearsal schedule and we have to take the double cast into account for rehearsals. It requires slightly longer runs of shows.

Feel free to check out the program at Hunting Hills High School in Red Deer, Alberta, Canada or contact me if you have questions.

Sites.google.com/a/rdpsd.ab.ca/HHHS-drama/

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 11.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-04-2014 13:53
    Thought I would provide the hyperlinks to the Hunting Hills HS Drama site and the site I am building for a Midsummer Night's Dream so you can see some of the details on how we cast etc.

HHHS Drama

HHHS A Midsummer Nights Dream

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 12.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-04-2014 21:45
    I think it ultimately depends on what you think is best for your program.  I have experimented with a couple different methods and they have all worked and not worked in their own respects.  I've done split casting, challenges, understudy with no guarantees of showtime and understudy with a guarantee if they were show ready, this gave them room to grow and the opportunity to learn.

Ultimately you have to have your standards clearly written and expressed at the beginning of the rehearsal process.  You can't change because of how a kid feels, they read and agreed to the rules and if you adjust for one than there is dangerous precedent.  That doesn't mean you cant change how you want to do something from show to show, just make sure the cast knows what they are agreeing to when they go into the rehearsal process.

Best of luck
    Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 13.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-05-2014 11:37
    I don't use understudies but I do have swings for my shows. I allow the swings to pick the part they would like to play at one of the matinee's. I was definitely glad I had them last year. I had an issue last year and had to stop the show and announce that the female swing would finish the performance.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 14.  Understudies

Posted 08-05-2014 08:23
    I never use understudies, but I always double cast. This gives more students a chance to be involved and assures that in the case of an unexpected absence, the show will go on. It also assures that rehearsals will always have all parts covered. ------------------------------------------- Kristie Bach Traverse City MI -------------------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Understudies

Posted 08-07-2014 09:20
    I use understudies when the non-musical production is ensemble-based. (We use swings with musicals.)

I find the that the process is extremely rewarding for students, advantageous to the rehearsal process, and creates a stronger production overall. I wrote a Promptbook article for Teaching Theatre that appears in the Summer 2010 issue (Vol 21 No. 4) if you're interested in reading how I approach the process.

Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH