Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 07-31-2014 12:32
    Hi,
    As I gear up for the coming school year I'm looking for theater specific safety tests to pass off students in my technical theater classes.  I'm looking for tool safety, rigging, painting, etc.  I'm in Utah and we don't have any state standardized safety test.  Thanks for your response and assistance.
    Regards,
    Russ

-------------------------------------------
    Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 2.  RE: Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 08-02-2014 10:25
    Hi Russell, There are no specific tests that I am aware of that would be usable at the high school level. That being said, manufacturers provide instruction manuals for their tools including caveats for what not to do. You should be readily able to glean test questions from the manuals as well as specifics about parts of the tool and the like. Also, if your school has an industrial technology department, they may have similar assessments. For painting safety, I would familiarize my students with the MSDS's available for the paints used as well as guidelines for proper conditions for painting (ventilation and the like). Rigging is harder in that it is somewhat system specific. You can find some general information at http://www.rigging-safety.com/ including manuals from J.R. Clancy on systems use. Also, if you want to delve deeper still, go to http://tsp.plasa.org/tsp/documents/published_docs.php You are looking for ANSI 1.4 2014 about manual counterweight rigging systems. These are the accepted standards developed by the rigging industry. You will have to dig into them but these are the things the experts have to say. In regard to rigging, you might also contact Tim Hansen at Oasis Stage Werks (Salt Lake City). Their number is 1-800-952-6865. Tim could also point you in the right direction for further information. He was, I believe, part of the working group that developed the 1.4 2014. Best wishes and please, share your results. Dana ------------------------------------------- Dana Taylor MSD of Mt. Vernon Evansville IN -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 08-04-2014 21:45
      |   view attached
    Here is something we use in the Clark County School District.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

Attachment(s)

doc
    SAFTEY EXAM 2013.doc   49 KB 1 version

• 4.  RE: Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 08-08-2014 06:31
      |   view attached
    Here is the key to the exam, I forgot to post it with the test. I was asked if I had a specific handout our video for the test, I do not. What I do is I go through the tour of the theatre and the areas I make sure that cover all the answers on the test as well as other essential information that I feel like they need to know that is not on the test. Hope this is helpful. ------------------------------------------- Alan Strait Teacher CCSD Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

Attachment(s)

doc
    SAFTEY EXAM KEY1.doc   65 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 08-09-2014 14:46
    As well as documenting the training and testing of students, I also created a liability waiver form for parents/guardians to sign (students who are 18 may sign their own), that way I feel I've covered my (and the school district's) bases as best I can in case someone gets hurt. Here's the wording I use. I, __________________________, parent/legal guardian of _________________________(student or self), do hereby give my permission for my student/self to operate the equipment in the ________________________ Performing Arts Center, which includes but is not limited to: Operate the counterweight system for the purposes of flying scenery and electrics in and out. Work under the supervision of theatre staff in order to re-weight pipes. Enter the galleries and/or catwalks for the purposes of rehearsals or performances, and specific show-related purposes. Operate a followspot, hang and focus lights, set up and operate sound equipment. Operate hand tools, power tools, in order to build or repair scenery, set pieces and/or props. Use and/or operate other equipment inherent to the theatre and/or to the production therein. I understand that a theatre facility contains many mechanical, electrical and other physical hazards, which can constitute a risk of injury or in extreme cases, death, especially to those unfamiliar with the procedures and practices of the industry, and that my student may not operate any equipment in the PAC until they have been authorized by the PAC technical crew. I also recognize the importance of following the instructions of the PAC personnel and my student agrees to obey such instructions. Failure to follow required safety rules may result in immediate and possibly permanent removal from a given activity or production. I agree to hold harmless and indemnify the School District, its employees, officers and agents from all claims, liability, actions or lawsuits, except for acts or omissions involving the sole negligence of the School District. ------------------------------------------- Elizabeth Rand High School Theatre Consultant Rand Consulting and Design Woodinville WA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: Technical Theatre Safety Test

Posted 08-09-2014 16:16

As well as documenting the training and testing of students, I also created a liability waiver form for parents/guardians to sign (students who are 18 may sign their own), that way I feel I've covered my (and the school district's) bases as best I can in case someone gets hurt.  Here's the wording I use.

I, __________________________, parent/legal guardian of _________________________(student or self), do hereby give my permission for my student/self to operate the equipment in the ________________________ Performing Arts Center, which includes but is not limited to:

Operate the counterweight system for the purposes of flying scenery and electrics in and out.  

Work under the supervision of theatre staff in order to re-weight pipes. 

Enter the galleries and/or catwalks for the purposes of rehearsals or performances, and specific show-related purposes.

Operate a followspot, hang and focus lights, set up and operate sound equipment.

Operate hand tools, power tools, in order to build or repair scenery, set pieces and/or props.

Use and/or operate other equipment inherent to the theatre and/or to the production therein.

I understand that a theatre facility contains many mechanical, electrical and other physical hazards, which can constitute a risk of injury or in extreme cases, death, especially to those unfamiliar with the procedures and practices of the industry, and that my student may not operate any equipment in the PAC until they have been authorized by the PAC technical crew. I also recognize the importance of following the instructions of the PAC personnel and my student agrees to obey such instructions.  Failure to follow required safety rules may result in immediate and possibly permanent removal from a given activity or production.  I agree to hold harmless and indemnify the School District, its employees, officers and agents from all claims, liability, actions or lawsuits, except for acts or omissions involving the sole negligence of the School District.

Elizabeth Rand
    High School Theatre Consultant
    Rand Consulting and Design
    Woodinville WA