Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Orphan Train vs Orphan Trains

Posted 07-30-2014 20:56
    Hello, I am curious about two scripts: Orphan Train by Aurand Harris and Orphan Trains by Deborah Craig. What experiences have you had with either script? Do you think either would be successful with middle school? Thank you for your time. Best, ------------------------------------------- Juliette Beck Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director Albuquerque NM -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Orphan Train vs Orphan Trains

Posted 07-31-2014 06:37
    I had a very successful experience doing Orphan Trains (Deborah Craig) with my middle school program several years ago. It was actually one of the first shows my theatre did with middle school students only (we're 3K-12, most of our larger shows use 6-12 grade students). It established to our administration that the middle school students were capable of strong, character-driven work. It really surprised a lot of people who thought middle school students should only do silly comedies. I highly recommend it. In fact, I have been considering bring it back one of these days -- and I rarely ever repeat a show at the same theatre. ------------------------------------------- R Andrew Strickland Director of Theatre/Chair of Fine Arts First Presbyterian Day School Macon GA -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Orphan Train vs Orphan Trains

Posted 07-31-2014 16:15
    I did Orphan Trains by Deborah Craig with middle school and it was one of the best theatrical experiences of my teaching career. It's a beautiful piece rich in American history. Enjoy!

-------------------------------------------
    Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX
    -------------------------------------------