Open Forum

View Only

good large cast plays to do

• 1.  good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-30-2014 18:28
    I usually come up with plays I would like to do pretty easily but this year for some reason I am having difficulty choosing. I need a two (high school level) and they do not have to be thematically connected, but the key is a large cast (15-20ish). Want a good message with some gravity, but not as "heavy" as The Crucible or To Kill a Mockingbird and we did a Shakepeare play last year, so more contemporary would be good. Thoughts? ------------------------------------------- Carol Hovey Livermore CA -------------------------------------------

• 2.  RE:good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-30-2014 20:56
    You could look into "Wit", we did the show my freshmen year. It has 7 principles roles, and you can cast kids as technicians and students. The play revolves around a dying cancer patients view on life and death, our audience enjoyed the drama! Hope this helps, Alex Minton ------------------------------------------- Alex Minton Omaha NE ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-31-2014 06:38
    Because she sadly just passes away, I have been reminiscing about our production of "Up the Down Staircase". Large cast, great play version (dramatic publishing). I did it in 2006, sent a letter to Bel Kaufman who wrote the book that the play and movie are based on, she was 95, still ballroom dancing once a week. She had no reason to answer my letter but did. She called the cast during a rehearsal and wished them luck, she was a gracious and wonderful lady who passed away a few days ago at the age 103. Her work still holds up today, and the kids found it a moving and wonderful play to work on. I highly recommend it. ------------------------------------------- Jeffrey Davis Plainsboro NJ -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-01-2014 08:52

Wit is one of my favorite plays.  But are we talking about the same one?The lead character has to shave her head.  It's an intimate play and I don't see a bald cap working. For the allegory to really work, there is full nudity in the end.  (I never could read Runaway Bunny.) If you want something similar, what about Yellow Boat?  
    -------------------------------------------
    Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 5.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-02-2014 10:25
    ------------------------------------------- Valerie Scott Duluth GA -------------------------------------------

• 6.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-31-2014 07:33
    You might look at Acts of God by Mark Rigney. It's about a group of high school,students dealing with their emotional after effects from a tornado that went through the town. At first, my students weren't too sure about it at the table read, but once we got it on it's feet, they talked about it for the next four years. Mark writes other good stuff too. I've considered his work many times, but haven't had the right group of kids yet. His work is carried by Playscripts.com and you can read large excerpts before buying. (Which is awesome!) He's also very willing to work with you. I approached Playscripts about some small word changes and adding a reference to a local situation, and he emailed changes he had written for us. ------------------------------------------- Holly Thompson Worthington OH -------------------------------------------

• 7.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-31-2014 08:49
    I like Snow Angel by David Lindsay Abaire, The Locker Next 2 Mine by Jonathan Dorf, and Searching for David's Heart by Cherie Bennett.

David Tate Hastings
    Olathe Public Schools
    Olathe KS

• 8.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-01-2014 22:34
    I love the following THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE LITTLE WOMEN JANE EYRE EMMA ORDINARY PEOPLE fun one TOM JONES ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones Ojai CA -------------------------------------------

• 9.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 07-31-2014 11:11
    I really like "Anatomy of Gray" by Jim Leonard, author of "The Diviners." This show can have as many students as you want to cast because there are many townspeople.  This show sticks out to me, because it also offers strong female characters.  There are several comedic moments of this show, to balance out some of the seriousness of the deadly sickness spreading through town.  It is also possible to perform this show with simplistic technical elements.
    Jessica Harms
    Tewksbury Memorial High School
    Tewksbury MA

• 10.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-01-2014 07:02
    About 3 years ago we produced To See the Stars by Cynthia Mercati ... loosely based on the Triangle Shirtwaist Fire. I have never produced Radium Girls but I have read it as a class project several times and liked it very much. The Mouse That Roared is comedy and at first glance it may seem dated but the notion of what would happen when a small country is able to take possession of The Bomb is pretty timely. ------------------------------------------- Helen Dixon Oakley CA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-01-2014 08:52
    Cheaper By the Dozen is overlooked largely due to the modern movies, but the original script is funny and endearing.  If you don't know, CBtD is about a real family so the script is actually written by the two oldest children.  In ways, it reminds me of You Can't Take It With You but students will recognize themselves more in this story.  We did the straight play, not the musical.  (don't judge the script by the old 1940's movie)

Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 12.  RE: good large cast plays to do

Posted 08-02-2014 08:41
    We produced Up the Down Staircase this past winter. It was very thought provoking for our students as well as our community. Many teachers in our district thanked us for doing it. Cheaper By the Dozen is on my list, as is Anne of Green Gables. Our large cast main stage show this coming year is Charlotte ' s Web. ------------------------------------------- Laura Steenson Theatre Director Reynolds High School Troutdale OR -------------------------------------------